VR1 20w50 in sportbikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im running 20w50 in my 2005 gsxr1000. I had a cam chain tensioner go bad. I was gonna try the vr1 for a bandaid. Long story short I filled it up with vr1 and chain clatter was the same. I learned that factory tensioners are hydraulic and have a spring, they are know to fail. I replaced tensioner with a manual one. Cam chain nice and quiet, Im happy with the manual tensioner. Engine seems smooth with vr1. Anyone have any comments on vr1, such as clutch problems or anything in general about this oil. Oh ya its the silver bottle dino oil.

It's a good oil as far as zddp but might be too slippery for the clutch. If you say it doesn't slip then it means your fine. Assuming there is no slip that you can't notice. That would accelerate a bit of wear on your clutches.

10W-40 syn diesel or motorcycle rated would be the best choice for your bike as you probably know...but that's twice the price for a high end product like Amsoil.

If you care about your clutch, don't use anything that isn't MA2. It is a huge difference in friction.

I have been running T6. I went with the vr1 to see if it was a fix for the cam chain tensioner. Im not having any clutch slippage. I sent off a oil sample from the last drain of T6, have not got anything back from blackstone yet. I will post as sone as I get the results. Then get a uoa on the vr1 next drain.

It really takes up to 10,000 mile to know if it will cause clutch issue. But it is kinda scarey right on the bottle says no wet clutch use. None of their other oils say this, so why the Vr1 is special I dont know.

But normally if it does start to give hints of slippage you can switch back to a Known good clutch oil and it will clean it up.

Last edited:
I did not see any moly in vr1 voa. T6 has moly? I wonder if it cost more money for a jaso cert?

Originally Posted By: Highline9
I did not see any moly in vr1 voa. T6 has moly? I wonder if it cost more money for a jaso cert?

T6 doesn't have an official JASO cert, but Shell claims it meets the respective requirements. FYI, it only costs about $500 to have an oil officially JASO certified, after you've carried out all the pertinent tests to prove it.

Last edited:
I have run Shell Rotella T-6 for some time in several bikes:
a Honda XR250 dirt bike, 80cc Honda dirt bike, 750 Honda Shadow cruiser and my VFR800 Interceptor. Zero issues that I could note and the oil gets a pretty good work out in the 250 dirt bike clutch during off road riding; Never had a clutch issue.
About all I noticed was a little easier kick starting in the dirtbikes and the VFR800 seems to pull fractionally harder with the T-6. Seems to be a very good bike oil to me and I have no reasons to quit using it.

Re:20W-50 in a liquid cooled sport bike: I agree with previous
post. I would only do that in very hot weather; that is a pretty viscous oil for that type of engine unless you run it really hard and hot on a continuous basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back