my new project restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it run?
I'd say probably a healthy dose of chain lube and maybe grease and repack any bearings...if there are any.

It's a kid's bike. Can't be that complicated.

Looks like a cute bike, but at the end of the day, it isnt lkely going to be used for multi-mile, 30 MPH rides like an athletic-use bicycle will. Rather for learning and getting some activity for small children. So the name of the game is to get some functionality and some safety.

So Id try to pull the chain, degrease and try to get it cleaned up. If not, a replacement chain can likely be found. Id try to clean the sprocket to shiny metal and then protect it somehow on the non-interface surfaces and oil it well elsewhere.

Don't know much about coaster brakes, but I'd disassemble and make sure that things that need to be lubed are and that everything that needs to be functionally working does.

You might want to pull the bearings at the bottom bracket, headset and wheel hubs, and clean and re-pack with some light grease (get Park tool poly urea grease from a bike shop if you want to use the right stuff). Not sure how necessary that is for the amount of use a small child's bike will get.

Well I'm disassembling it now. Would like to take the chain off the bike frame but I'm not sure how. The pedal assembly doesn't cone off either. In going to clean up all the chrome and paint atleast the wheels and fork and handle bars. What's the best way to go about painting it

Id mask off any mechanical parts, then scuff the metal and use a paint that is designed for metal, maybe a rust-oleum product?

Paint slow, in light coats to get the coverage. Not heavy.

If it were mine, i would get as much rust off the spokes as possible and lightly sand/steel wool the spokes wheel and the fork/ handlebars. I would buy a can of rustoleum appliance paint in black. This is black appliance epoxy paint. I would give each item a light coat, wait 5 minutes and give it another coat. after 30 minutes from the first coat stop, any more coats will bubble up. If your need more coats , wait 24hours or it will bubble. This should last as long as that bike is in service. The black should look good on the wheels and handlebar/fork.

I made an ooops taking the front hub apart there is a little washer ring that fits over the bearings well it mysteriously disappeared could a new a new one be had at the hardware store?

Isnt there one on the opposite side? Post a picture?

Is it like a washer or is it a race for the bearings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back