Rotella T6 in everything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a 2003 Rav4 with about 150K miles on it. The car runs perfect, But it does have some lifter noise when cold. Ive been doing 10K OCI's with 5W-30 PP

I also own a 2004 Volvo S80 with 110K miles with the 2.5L turbo engine. I've been using the recommended Castrol full synthetic 10w-30 in the summer and 5W-30 in the winter. Also, has some lifter noise. Also has lifter noise when cold.

Both of the above cars recommend 5W-30. I'm looking to switch the car to T6 5W-40 Rotella for the following reasons:

I use T6 is 3 other vehicles. I have it locally available in Menards for a very good price compared to Pennzoil and Castrol oil's. We also cant forget the outstanding T6 Reputation.

Also, does anything run T6 in small engines such as riding mowers, snow blowers, etc....?

I currently use T6 rotella in

My 04 Jetta TDI, waverunner, 4wheeler.

If I got everything on T6 i could go to the local Menards and buy in bulk during sales.

Id like to hear everyone's thoughts with this, I appreciate everyone's input.

If I was consolidating everything to one oil I would go with T6 without hesitation.

I also find that stepping up a grade can quite down noisy lifter(s) most of the time.

Why not? If I had a diesel and a Prius I'd probably still run Rotella T6 in it. It's good stuff and it's a bargain.

Good god, how long could I run something like T6 in a Prius?..

5w40 would work extremely well in the turbocharged Volvo, and it you could use it in the RAV4, but it might not be ideal.

I thought the Toyota RAV4 had mechanical lifters that need lash adjustments, and some of them required cam removal to install shims under cam buckets.

We accidentally ran a backoe out to 740 hours on T6 with no problems. 740 hours times say 40 miles per hour is 29,600 miles. Apples and orages, yes, but T6 is one tough oil! This Cat backhoe only has an 8 quart capacity unlike the 12 that most of our other heavy equipment has.

No don't run T6 that long on purpose.

T6, like its several predecessors, is a GREAT oil. Almost a universal oil. Almost.

Older Volvos (80s+ redblocks and pre-'99 white blocks) just LOVE it. Older TDIs like it very much (all the dealer techs and parts men quietly use it in theirs).

You can probably get better all-out performance on a post-'99 Volvo turbo going to some alternatives (M1 0w-40, GC, and many full-syn 10w-30s). But T6 will NEVER hurt you in one in street use.

I would have reservations with a newer TDI (VW 507.00) still under warranty, or in an older or vintage engine that prefers ZDDP.

Some small air-cooled HD engines might do better on a straight weight, but T6 should cause NO problems in most. Many smaller Gensets running days on end come to mind. Some small Koehlers also prefer a 30, and exhibit noisy valve trains on heavier oils.

Can't speak to the Toyota. But T6 is not a light oil, and it may not be optimal for MPG in those designed around a 5w-30.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
T6, like its several predecessors, is a GREAT oil. Almost a universal oil. Almost.

Older Volvos (80s+ redblocks and pre-'99 white blocks) just LOVE it. Older TDIs like it very much (all the dealer techs and parts men quietly use it in theirs).

You can probably get better all-out performance on a post-'99 Volvo turbo going to some alternatives (M1 0w-40, GC, and many full-syn 10w-30s). But T6 will NEVER hurt you in one in street use.

I would have reservations with a newer TDI (VW 507.00) still under warranty, or in an older or vintage engine that prefers ZDDP.

Some small air-cooled HD engines might do better on a straight weight, but T6 should cause NO problems in most. Many smaller Gensets running days on end come to mind. Some small Koehlers also prefer a 30, and exhibit noisy valve trains on heavier oils.

Can't speak to the Toyota. But T6 is not a light oil, and it may not be optimal for MPG in those designed around a 5w-30.

I have three Toyota products, and I'd like to buy it in 5 gallon pails. In one of them, the slight oil consumption with other oils has gone to ZERO. I keep looking at the dipstick and shaking my head.

Last edited:
http://www.liquimoly.co.uk/index.php?p=product_details&id=7

That additive is worth a try if you have bad lifter tick and it might be sold under the Lubro Moly name in the US, although they are going to use the same name soon.
LM are the no 1 engine oil company in Germany and I only use their products in my Volvo diesel because the UOA results are very good. A 5/40 fully synthetic or HC synthetic is good for almost anything.
I was using High Tech Synthoil 5/40 but will switch to Diesel Synthoil 5/40 as my engine is not approved for an 0/40 which in general terms is a better oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back