Another ZDDP question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello People:

Fisrt post. Been reading since a while though.

I’m about to get a rebuilt GM350 5.7L engine (possibly < 1981). By reading some of the post herein I can tell I just cannot get neither Delo nor Rotella-T. The only available oils are:
M1 0W-40
M1 5W-50
M1 5W-40 Turbo truck
Motul xcess 5W-40
Motul 913C (I use in my LR, but maybe too thin)
Rotella X plain 30-40 and
a variety of 4T bike oils.

I would like if you could through some thoughts on this for both braek in period and afterwards. Much appreciated.

I would choose a conventional 4T Motorcycle oil based on this list. Break in oils typically have high ZDDP and low detergent in order to quickly protect the cam and lifters.

What viscosity can you find for motorcycle oil? I would think about 10w40 would be a good choice.

The downloadable paper posted here:
http://www.widman.biz/Corvair/English/Links/Oil.html

offers an alternative view of motorcycle oil, along with some interesting insights on ZDDP and oil in general. His "primary" objective was documenting experiences and data about a rebuilt Corvair, but there are lots of applications to flat tappet engines in general.

The author is also a contributor to BITOG.

good luck
Kevin

Nice paper on Richard's part.

There is one minor error, though not his fault. On page 23, section d. ii., we actually have CJ-4/SM Delvac 1300 here in Canada, and have for quite some time. Imperial Oil (our XOM) does export at least some Delvac 1300 south for U.S. use; they do have their own refineries up here.

Part of the confusion arises because Imperial Oil has a few old data sheets on its site for products that are no longer available, either because of product consolidation or because of new specification. Esso/Exxon XD-3, for example, has been replaced by Delvac 1300, although the sheets for all those are still available.

Additionally, ULSD is now mandated in Canada across the board for all applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back