Subaru 0W-20 FF, 2,800, 12 Subaru Impreza

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was posted by a member of another forum I visit. This is the new FB20 engine in the 2012 Impreza. Subaru calls for 7,500 mile OCI's for this engine and model year. A lot of guys on that forum are changing out their FF at 3,000 because their dealers told them they should. My fiancee's 2012 Impreza has 2,700 miles on it. I plan to keep the FF in until 7,500 miles.

Aluminum 1
Chromium 1
Iron 29
Copper 154
Lead 1
Tin 2
Molybdenum 828
Nickel 1
Manganese 20
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 4
Boron 138
Silicon 330
Sodium 8
Calcium 1929
Magnesium 12
Phosphorus 850
Zinc 792
Barium 6

Flashpoint 410F
Fuel Antifreeze 0
Water 0
Insolubles 0.2%

SUS Viscosity @ 210F: 48.8
cSt Viscosity @ 100C: 6.89

Last edited:
The manuel I have says 3k first change then 7.5 after. The stealer suggested severe 3,750. At $80 a pop. I changed it at 3k it was a rush job leaving the windshield washer dry. A few good dealers around but I always side on them being far from what you would expect.I check everyting, can imagine what the pan bolt will look like in a few changes.The next fill I will start 5k like all others cars I have owned.

I would change it at 3K because I'm one of those early first oil change guys. I used to do my first OCI at 1 or 1.5K so even 3K is a lot.

Finkeljag: How do you like the new Impreza? The wife has admired it and it's on our radar screen.
Do the dealers deal from sticker price at all?

its cost cutting on the maintence schedule..

the first year fb25 required 3k mile change.. then suddenly in 2012 the fb engines dont?

FF Lost viscosity index and sheared too thin. Change it at 3K, or at the very least change the filter ( wich is a 2 minute proposition). I changed our FB at 3K (which was required at the time) and we have no oil consumption issues. I am using the Subaru Gold Bottle (by: Idemitsu) oil to avoid warranty issues on this very unproved engine. None of these oils are group iv/v (true) synthetic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
The manuel I have says 3k first change then 7.5 after. The stealer suggested severe 3,750.

The 2012 manual shows this.

photo-3.jpg

I have Havoline 0W-20 and a OEM filter standing by already. I might just dump the FF.

My finacee really likes the car. She has been getting around 33-34 mpg during break-in. The car should get the 36 mpg that Subaru claims after break-in.

Originally Posted By: Rand
its cost cutting on the maintence schedule..

the first year fb25 required 3k mile change.. then suddenly in 2012 the fb engines dont?

SoA claims they switched the first FB25 oil change to 7,500 miles after extensive testing. Hopefully the crew that did the testing wasn't the same one that said "5W-40 conventional" is ok for replenishment only.
grin.gif

-Dennis

The viscosity on that FF is beat way down. I'd change it a 3K and refill with the same high moly oil if possible.

The oil did shear a fair bit, but the only thing that really looks bad is the copper.
Where did all that moly come from?
Assembly lube?
Based upon the shearing, I'd probably change your intended's Impy's oil at 3K.
Unless Subaru, knowing that the FF would shear, intended the thin oil to aid in break-in?

The moly comes from the assembly lube and the factory fill Idemitsu oil. The same levels of moly are not found in the dealer service fill due to GF5 restrictions.

-Dennis

If the OP wanted to change the oil and stick with Idemitsu and the high moly levels, the Mazda 0W-20 and Mitsubishi 0W-20 are still using the Idemitsu GF-4 oil that contains the high moly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back