Quick Auto-RX question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got 12 oz of Auto-Rx to put in my wife's 2000 Ford Taurus - 3.0 V6 12 valve. It has 52k miles and has been running Mobil 1 or AMSOIL since 10k miles. It now has Amsoil 5W-30 XL-7500. It has about 1k miles until due for a change. I thought I remembered something about if running synthetic run 1k miles? I checked the website and didnt see that.

Should I run it 1k miles or just the 750, or does it matter. I have a WIX filter to change in place of the SDF filter.

Thanks.

Also, this car has a severe pinging/ valve chatter on reg unleaded that doesnt improve with techron. I am hoping that the Auto-Rx helps this.

You'll be totally safe running it for 1000 miles. If your wife's engine was super dirty (which it probably isn't) then change the oil filter at both the beginning of the treatment, and 500 miles into it.

I agree with Patman. Change the filter BEFORE adding Auto-RX, and if possible, cut it open to see how clean or dirty it is. Install a new filter. Run 12 oz. Auto-Rx for 750 miles and cut open that filter. Even though your engine is probably quite clean, you will likely find a lot of crud in the Auto-RX'd filter.

By the way, I used a dremel with a cut off disk to cut open the filter. Takes about 20 seconds and is well worth the effort. Be careful to not cut off your fingers!

Looking at the filter before and after Auto-RX will tell you how well the Auto-RX worked in your engine. We are interested to hear your results.

Keith.

Hey Scooby, I'm right down the road from you. Untill a year ago I lived in Cleremont Ga, now I live in Cumming Ga.. I have some land up on top of Long Mountain and will be moving up there in a couple of years or so.
smile.gif

Judd:

Where exactly is Long Mtn? Is that the one off 284?

I live in a subdivision on the left about 1/2 mile inside White County on 129 north out of Gainesville. S/D - Shadow Mountain.

It's between Hwy129 and Hwy115. It's the mountain behind the Ford place, the plumbing supply store and the RV place. If you are going North on Hwy129 it's on your left, same side as Jacky Jones.

Nice meeting you neighbor!

FWIW, on my last RX treatment I ran it over 1300 miles and didn't change the filter during that time either and was just fine. I ran a similar amount of mileage on my mom's Auto-rx treatment too, with the same filter.

Patman, your engines are not sludgemakers or carbonmakers so not changing filter for 1300 miles is alright. In fact, you could go 1500 miles. The third party abrasives Auto-Rx has removed from one of your engines (results you posted) can be done in safety without risking a filter malfunction. I'm assuming Kiko takes good care of his engine like you do. Most people do not take care of there cars; carbon and oil residue will pretty much fill filter at 750 miles, so they should change then.

That's a good point Frank. For those of use who take good care of our cars we won't fill up the oil filter as much as someone with a neglected car, so it would be safer if they made sure to change the filter partway through if they go over the 750 miles.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
You'll be totally safe running it for 1000 miles.

Whew! Thanks for this post Patman. I too have auto-rx in my engine. My intent was to change it out at around 750 miles but due to an emergency I had to drive to Stockton, CA with the auto-rx still in the engine. Total miles now is 1,281 and still going. Can't wait for Saturday so I can change out the old oil and put in a fresh batch plus the maintenance dose. So far the engine's running good. BTW I was running M1 5w30 in it. This time I'll switch to 10w30 as I will be driving to Phoenix in a couple of weeks.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back