Sawyer Canoe Fiberglass Gelcoat repair- MarineTex?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here at BITOG, we have a wealth of experience & expertise on tap. If you're good at gelcoat repairs, please keep reading.

I just bought something I've wanted for a very long time, a nice one man/solo canoe. It's an old Sawyer Oscoda Solo 13, a 13 footer, fiberglass, weight 45 lbs, brand new to me, originally sold as a 1985 model.
grin2.gif
In unusually nice shape, *Except* for 2 boo-boos in the gelcoat, both along the hull's keel.

#1: About 25-30" aft of the bow, barely off center, is a hole, round & about the size of a pencil eraser. Maybe from an air bubble? Fiberglass mat does not show at the bottom. Plan to make sure it's dry, squirt out w/acetone? Denatured alcohol? & fill.

#2: At the stern, where the keel curves into the stem, a chunk is broken off, about the size of my little finger, probably less than 2" long. Bare brown woven fiberglass matt shows plainly under this, from bottom & both sides. There's also a flattened small section of the keel adjoining, like it was dragged across a concrete floor, maybe. Again, plan to ensure it's dry, then clean appropriately- maybe also rough up adjoining gelcoat surfaces- & build up/fill.

After lotsa internet research & looking, it seems a product called Marine-Tex is ideal for this type of repair, & so ordered a small 2-oz kit of it in White last night. I'm not trying to match color exactly- the canoe is off-white/ivory/whatever Sawyer called it back then- and white is close enough, especially for the keel. The total volume of stuff that will stay on the canoe is probably no more than my trigger finger.

I'll buy whatever the instructions say to use for cleaning. Other than that- & knowing that success depends heavily on preparation- do any gelcoat repair experts have any advice? And if you think something other than the MarineTex would be much better, please say so. I'd like to do this *once*, put a nice clean & polish on everything, & then enjoy this sweet little boat until I'm too old to paddle it anymore.
thumbsup2.gif

All advice appreciated, TIA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back