Smartphone mount?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone use a smartphone mount on their bike? Can you recommend something?

I'm looking at various ones online, but they all seem rather flimsy and don't see one with stellar reviews. I don't want my phone airborne when hitting a bump.

A universal mount would probably work best for me since I am planning to replace my current Droid 2 in a few months.

Thanks!

Yup. Wanted to use it as navigation. I'm in a new place with many bike routes... just trying to help me navigate the area.
smile.gif

I looked at SlipGrip, but found some negative feedback - phones falling out of cradles fairly easily.

Well, I ended up ordering the Minoura mount/cradle, especially after seeing this video:

My biking isn't as extreme, so hopefully it'll do fine and it should work with other phones of similar size.

Got the Minoura mount and installed it today. It cost a bit more than some of the others I was looking at, but it's a quality piece, well made, and holds the phone in place very well. It'll accommodate different phones and it has a quick release latch that makes it easy to transfer from one bike to another. Very happy!

Thanks cchase for suggesting it!

DSC_1039.jpg

DSC_1042.jpg

DSC_1047.jpg

DSC_1048.jpg

Looks great. I haven't used one as I don't have a smartphone but I've put a few on bikes. The quality seemed top notch.

Have been looking at getting one of these as well. Would like it for music/audiobook/nav/flashlight app for night biking.

Good stuff!

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Would seem to me to be a good way to potentially damage an expensive phone.

Only if you go flying and flip your bike upside down, which I did manage to do unfortunately.
smile.gif

It was a case of personal stupidity and not a fault of the mount though.

I am curious what do you use it for? Navigation around cities and stuff?

I carry my smartphone inside a small waterpack wrapped in padding on vibrate. I like to disconnect when I go mountain biking.

I'm spending a lot of time in a new place that has a lot of trails, to the point where it's easy to get lost, so yeah, I use it as nav mainly, but also to listen to NPR at the same time.

The phone release mechanism (from the cradle) is very easy and quick.

That is pretty awesome. I use Endomondo on my road rides and I normally just throw my phone in my back jersey pocket but it would be nice to be able to see my split times and so forth.

Supposedly there are some Bluetooth accessories that also can be used with Endomondo and some of the other exercise programs for smartphones and that would make this mount even more useful. I'd like to get bluetooth speed/cadence sensors and heart rate monitors.

I have a Garmin Edge 305 but the screen is pretty small compared to my phone
smile.gif
Plus it has no data connectivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back