1987 B&S 7hp engine - needs help

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

Have a 1987 Ariens riding mower with a 7hp B&S engine. It still runs fine, starts every time, but has burned a lot of oil for a number of years now. Probably add 2-3 oz every time, after a 2 hr mow of a hilly acre, with a 240lb rider, plus clippings. In the hot summer, you can see smoke coming out of the top where the grill spins. Oil is always black... Im sure there is sludge, varnish and everything else. Have started to use a 15w-40 diesel oil, hopefully with good results. However it does burn a lot of oil. I am thinking it is generally worn out, but maybe there is more life, if I can just fix the possible stuck rings (always used and mixed our left over 5 and 10w-30 oils in the bottles from car changes).
What I am thinking to do is use a topsider to suck out the oil, as much as possible. Then, Ill add some 15w-40 diesel oil, and some neutra. Use it two weeks to mow an acre of grass (the sump must be pretty small, and its air cooled, so it will get real hot). then suck out the oil / neutra with hopefully lots of junk (I worry about leaving it in too long, as there is no oil filter, and if too much stuff gets loosened, it may plug other stuff. Ill add fresh oil, and some 132, so it gets more protection. My main concern is, should I add 132 and also a slight splash of neutra as well? Or would this not bea good thing to do, since one is essentiually trying to remove the top metal layer contaminants, and the other is trying to bind to the same.

ANy info or suggestions on what would be a better procedure would be appreciated.
Thanks,

JMH

[ May 24, 2003, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: JHZR2 ]

If the smoke is coming out the top of the engine, and not the muffler, I'd think you have a leak somewhere. Possibly the crank seal under the flywheel, or if you're lucky the breather tube is unhooked or cracked. Pull the shroud off the top of the engine an look around to see if you have any obvious leaks. Glean out any grass clippings that are in there while you're at it, this will lower the operating temperature some and maybe stop cooking off lighter fractions of the oil. I've also had best luck with straight 30 weight oil in small engines, they seem to burn the least with that.

[ May 24, 2003, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: mrchecker ]

JHRZ,

Nothing really to add to what was preciosuly posted, except to say you keep your machinery as long as I do.
cool.gif

I still run a 1972 Roper (Sold by Sears) with the Kohler K161 and the cast iron 4-speed transmission, orignal (and many times rewelded cast aluminum deck), with belt drive. It is similar to the old Wheel-Horse in stature. I cut with it sometimes but mainly use it in July 4th Parades.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back