Should I add Slick 50 to protect my engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard a lot of good things about it from other people (more power, less wear, coats engine parts, et cetera).

"1). How often should an engine be treated with Slick 50® Engine Treatment?
"Slick 50® Engine Treatment can be used at every oil change, every 6 months or once a year."

Troy
dunno.gif

[ May 24, 2003, 07:09 AM: Message edited by: troy_heagy ]

Teflon is for frying pans, not engines. Here is a good reason not to use it:

Teflon(PTFE) of other brand names of the same solid lubricant pellets
are effective at sliding friction lubrication if you can get the PTFE to
adhere to the point of contact.

What Slick 50 does is inhibits sound because of its density, then you
think (placebo) that the engine is running more smoothly. IF the pellets
are not machined small enough they have an affinity to "stack or pool"
at oil journal entry points and block off up to 50% of the lower area of
the journal, disrupting oil flow rate and causing localized heating.
This can starve a critical area of lubrication and because of localized
heating create a temprorary increase in performance ( thinner oil
sheared or thinned by heat) until the oil starved component is
destroyed.

Finally the solids have an affinity at resting in the oil pan/sump and
collecting and holding sludge precursers that eventually collect into
full blown black sludge creating more problems.

The Physicist (DR. Harold Shaub) who helped develop Slick 50 is
currently working on another PTFE derived additive called "Techrobond"
to replace ZDDP. The compound uses a catalyst and modified PTFE to alter
surfaces and bind low friction compounds at room temp.

Troy - are you baiting us?
smile.gif

Dude - you were 110 posts into BiTOG when you popped that boner. Come on man - you could have found a resounding NO even without BiTOG, let alone a simple search and 2+2=4 here.

So the answer is 7.....I mean: NO

If you check with the Federal Trade Commission, you will find that the people who sell Slick 50, along with the people who sell several other oil supplements and engine treatments, have been fined by the federal government. Others that have been fined include Prolong, Duralube, STP, Valvoline for a product they came out with in the past, and I believe Zmax.

So if you really want to use Slick 50 or these other products, go ahead. Use a product whose makers have been fined for false advertising.

There always seems to be some new oil supplement or engine treatment being sold. People are always looking for the magic stuff. But the magic stuff never seems to arrive.

You are better off using a good quality motor oil, conventional or synthetic. I would not put anything in my motor oil except for Auto-RX, Neutra, or Schaeffer's #132.

lol.gif

YES, by all means.

Intead of addding it to motor oil, fill up the rest of the oil systems capacity with some of the other fine additives out there.

You could brew up a super lubrication cocktail with Prolong, Z-max, STP, Marvel Mystery oil, Restore, and whatever additives you can find out there.

PS - this is knowledge the BIG oil companies don't want you to have. It would bankrupt them and the Arabs would have to sell camel turd to maintain their lifestyle.

troy-heagy, how about using just Slick 50, and no motor oil at all? You could run it for 3000 miles and do a UAO for all of the people at this web site to examine.

We could all find out just how good Slick 50 is. I think it is pretty thick stuff (I don't know for sure-never tried it). Just in time for summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back