Fuel system cleaner necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a case where a good quality fuel is always used (we'll use Chevron in this example), is a fuel system cleaner/additive needed? I ask because I've used only Chevron for the almost three years straight in my car. I've used the Techron fuel system cleaner about 3 times to clean up since I don't know what type of gas the previous owner used. Am I wasting $5 for the additive that I usually use twice a year? Thanks guys!

If you always use Chevron fuel, you are already getting a dose of Techron every time you fill up. However, questions as to the treatment's effectiveness can be answered by asking if you believe your engine has carbon deposits. Rough idle, rough acceleration, or abnormal oil analysis results can indicate that carbon deposits are present.

Molakule or G-Man II will probaly be able to tell your more but here goes my $.02 worth. GM has published articles for ASE dealing with fuel injector cleanliness. They basicly found that most fuels lack a detergent package that is able to keep your injectors clean. I belive BMW has also come to similar conclusions. You really need to use products like those made by Redline, Amsoil, Schaffers, or Lucuas to name a few to keep your injectors clean. These products also do a decent job of cleaning deposits off of other componets like valves. Their are better more involed systems but these work pretty well and are easy to use.

Raptor6

I used to have to clean my injectors every six months or so. Then 10 years ago I started using Chevron fuel exclusively. In that time I have not suffered injector caused rough idling.

Now I still use fuel treatment (Neutra) for various reasons.

In my F-150, which now gets less than 3000 miles a year, I use the neutra as a gas stabilizer and upper cylinder lubricant. In my Saturn I'm running Neutra through the gas and crankcase to try and reduce oil consumption. Its working slowly oil consumption down from a quart every 3k to a quart and a quarter every 6k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back