Need for Neutra or Auto Rx?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2000 Nissan Xterra with the 3.3l V-6 engine. Its currently at 92K and has been fed a steady diet of Redline since 5K with changes at between 5-6K intervals. I'm wondering if it would be necessary to use 132 or Auto Rx as a one shot cleaner or start maintenance doses at this milage. I'm thinking that with the ester content of the RL I don't need it. Any comments?

[ May 22, 2003, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: shortyb ]

Shortyb, Generally with Redline oils Auto-RX is not needed, and definitely not # 132 add.

Redline and NEO diester oils would be the only 2 brands I can think of that I could say that about.

Especially considering your very low mileage drain intervals.

***Analysis is the only way for us to know for sure. ****

I am testing LC in Redline now to combat oxidation and extend the drain intervals using Redline oils.

I know that Auto-RX works that way at lower dosage levels, I just haven't tested it with Redline.

Terry, thanks for the info. Stand by for an incoming analysis from this application in a month or so.

I was curious because of slight consumption between changes and if the additives would clear this up. Guess thats just normal with this engine.

One more point that one of our guest chemists may be able ot bring out. The esters derived for lubrication Redline, NEO, etc., usually have a secondary solvency effect, whereas Auto-Rx is by design esterified just for cleaning while having the secondary lubrication effect.

esters are a complex batch of chemistry and I am NOT a chemist, I just look at and work with the results and end product.

When I interpret that oil test we'll be able to discern the issue. How much consumption in 5000 - 6000 miles ?

Sorry for the omission. Approximately .75 to 1 full quart. It started at 40K and has been this way ever since. I know this may not seem like alot, but none of my other Nissan engines have consumed anywhere near this amount (Al, not even the Spec believe it or not!)

[ May 22, 2003, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: shortyb ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back