Dealer added Lubegard (Red I assume), is this an issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been doing some searching on this topic, and it seems like I've seen a few "I like its" regarding this, and a few "didn't do anything but didn't hurts" .

My car is a 99 Saab 9-5 w/ the 2.3 LPT and 4 spd auto (Aisin Warner).

While looking at the receipt from the dealer for my 60k service, I noticed "Lubegard ATF Supplment" listed. I assume it's the red (going to call and ask). Didn't ask for this, had no problems whatsoever with the tranny. Paid 14 bucks for it, but that's pretty insignificant within a $1400 service bill (ouch! huh?)
mad.gif

This tranny uses Dexron III. This fluid and additive is going to be in there for 30k more miles. Should I worry about this additive?

PS, Lubegard's page shows a Saab TSB recommending this stuff, but this is for an older ZF tranny in the 9000 model.

Thanks for any opinions...

Pat

As far as I can tell, this stuff if a real good additive for Transmissions. I have added to mine after changing fluid. And I know that this stuff is actually recommended by manafactures and dealers.

Dont worry, its NOT a slick 50 type of product. It will cut down on wear and heat. The price is about right. I think I paid about 12 to 13 bucks for this stuff at Napa.

And they did not mark it up 100% (well close to it) as most dealer parts are. It costs about $7-10 if you order it yourself. Many Napa Stores carry it. Does it work. Well, in my three transmisions that I have it in I really see no difference. Saabs and most other makes that recommend it did so for specific operating problems not as a general additive. It will do no harm in there.

If you read their literature it was manufactured to replace whale oil which was in transmisson fluids up until the whales became endangered and apparently the whale oil had unique features that made transmission fluids last a very long time. When the oil went out the chemists at Lubeguard had their opening for a whale oil replacement.

Sounds strange, read their web page and hand out that comes with the additive. My issue with them, what independent lab tested the product?

[ May 22, 2003, 07:53 AM: Message edited by: Spector ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back