Oil for New Subaru FA20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys,
Just added a new Scion FR-S to the stable, and Subie is new to me. The car has the new FA20 boxer in it (car is also sold as Subaru BRZ and Toyota GT86-Scion badges in US only), and a search for that motor turns up zilch-too new. Car is NA. My instinct is to start with M1 5w-30, or even ST syn. in the same the same weight. Factory spec is 0w-20, but I live in a hot climate, and the car will see some track use. My questions are 1) Do Subie/boxer engines like a paticular oil, in general? 2) when is the best time to take a baseline UOA?

Last edited:
This FA-20 with Toyota's direct injection is different enough from any other Subie motor that it might be tough giving any solid advice. If you're worried, send out a used sample for analysis and see how it holds up.

WRT weight, I'd tend to stick with what the spec is, and if I was worried about track days, hot weather or spirited use often, choose a better synthetic - Amsoil/Redline/etc. over M1 AFE.

Also, I'm not sure the 0W-20 spec is a bad one, to be honest. The power produced is high for its size, but also at really high RPM's. In other words, it's not like you're producing 200 ft-lbs from 2k RPM on up. As you build power, you're also spinning up the engine, which will allow the oil to for a stronger hydrodynamic wedge. I'm sure the other considerations for high RPM use have also been considered, such as piston cooling, and etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hardcore302
Does the manual give some wiggling room for hotter/colder climates?

P.345 "An oil with a higher viscosity (one with a higher value) may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions."

P.344 "SAE 0w-20 is the best choice for fuel economy and good starting in cold weather".

Originally Posted By: phm14
................My questions are 1) Do Subie/boxer engines like a paticular oil, in general? ...............

Many Subaru enthusiasts will say that Rotella T6 5W40 is what turbo boxers "like" best, but I have seen no compelling evidence for this, only assertions of superiority.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
................My questions are 1) Do Subie/boxer engines like a paticular oil, in general? ...............

Many Subaru enthusiasts will say that Rotella T6 5W40 is what turbo boxers "like" best, but I have seen no compelling evidence for this, only assertions of superiority.

Just no blown turbo or spun bearings is all. That and many, many good UOA's that have been run on that oil if that could be considered proof-not just Subaru boxer engines, but other turbocharged engines as well. That and the rumor is that Ken Block used it in his Impreza-you know, the one in those YouTube videos.

Back on subject however, all that applies to the 'EJ' series engine. The FA/FB? Now that's a good question. I'd say stick with what the manual says (for lack of a better answer). That, and do a lot of people a huge favor and have a couple of UOA's done.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT

This is not a turbo motor. Shame they don't offer it as an option in the new Impreza, which will probably get some kind of a turbo WRX-style in a while...

As for the DI, time will tell.

I don't see how using a synthetic 5W-40 will hurt anything. My SVX has run on 10W-30 (with an occasional foray into a 5W-30) and is running stronger than ever at almost 200K miles.

Cheers!

Stick with the factory recommendation if your warranty means anything to you. I'm quit sure that Subaru beat the [censored] out of their engines with the oil viscosity they recommend. I also like OEM Subaru oil filters but, have had good performance (cut open) with WIX/NAPA Gold and pureOne.

Based on what the OP posted, running 0/5W-30 will not void the warranty, just as Subaru would not have while I used Rotella T6 5W-40.

According to rumor, the WRX and STI variants will no longer use the Impreza platform, but we'll see. The Impreza was de-beafed, so a beafier chassis on a different platform would make sense for the next-gen WRX and STI.

Originally Posted By: edhackett
If I were to buy a BRZ and lived where I didn't expect start temperatures below 32F, I'd run PU 10W-30.

Ed

Maybe. We'll have to see if this high-reving engine beats up oil and shears it down or not. I'm curious to see whether it's prone to fuel dilution, as well.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: edhackett
If I were to buy a BRZ and lived where I didn't expect start temperatures below 32F, I'd run PU 10W-30.

Ed

Maybe. We'll have to see if this high-reving engine beats up oil and shears it down or not. I'm curious to see whether it's prone to fuel dilution, as well.

My thoughts exactly re: fuel dilution. S2000 Honda spec was a 10W-30. I guess + or - 0.0515 mpg is likely in an enthusiast's sports car...

Cheers!

p.s. As Sister Mary Elephant always used to say:

"Remember, Class: always keep your rev's below 2000 rpm and shift into top gear as soon as possible to maximize your fuel economy..."

Thanks for the feedback, Guys. I've gotten lots of great info here over the years. Got a kit from Blackstone inbound & will probably run several UOAs. Any suggestions on UOA intervals?

I'd start with the factory OCI and go from there but no longer while under warranty. Think it is 7500 miles or 7.5 months, whichever occurs first.

Thanks, but I meant testing intervals. Any point in UOA on the first OC? How much of a negative are magnetic drain plugs in UOAs?

Thanks, but I meant testing intervals. Any point in UOA on the first OC? How much of a negative are magnetic drain plugs in UOAs?

I think that's what he meant, too. I agree

Originally Posted By: HollowEyes
I'd start with the factory OCI and go from there but no longer while under warranty. Think it is 7500 miles or 7.5 months, whichever occurs first.

I just picked up my BRZ (FA20 engine) and also trying to decide which oil to use. Was thinking of Pennzoil Ultra 0W-20 if I can find it. Also considering Royal Purple 0W-20 or Amsoil 0W-20.

OCI is 7500 miles or 3750 severe use. I plan on first change at 1,000 miles then every 5,000 miles. Going to use an OEM black Subaru oil filter.

Thoughts?

0w-20 and direct injection - if you go that route you're a braver man than I am. I feel sort of iffy using 0w-20 in my Prius.

I'd certainly go 5w-30 in a car that I would plan on taking to the track on a regular basis, and the owner's manual seems to second this opinion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back