alternative to volvo penta 75w-90 full synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot find this stuff without driving for 3 hours or paying huge shipping costs. is there another brand of full synthetic 75 w 90 with a gl 5 rating that I can get at the auto parts store or walmart?

Valvoline Synthetic 75W90 High Performance Gear Oil NAPA Part # VAL 975.

You will have to look online to see if your local Napa has it.

thanks guys I will check into that. all I've been able to find is mobile 1 which would be great except that it has anti slip additives in it. I have no problem using mobil 1 15w-50 in my engine but I hear that you can really mess up a volvo sx drive by not using the right stuff.

Mobilube SHC fully synthetic sae 75w90 is approved in the manual for my DPS drive, which is basically the SX with duoprop.

Some shops carry AMSOIL Marine Gear Lube, which will work just fine.
rumor has it that there is a possibility that AMSOIL manufactures for Volvo.
Or, you can order from AMSOIL (but UPS doesn't work free)--contact Pablo

Originally Posted By: monster1
I cannot find this stuff without driving for 3 hours or paying huge shipping costs. is there another brand of full synthetic 75 w 90 with a gl 5 rating that I can get at the auto parts store or walmart?

Define HUGE. Amsoil will ship a full case anywhere in the contiguous US for about $11.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Define HUGE. Amsoil will ship a full case anywhere in the contiguous US for about $11.

One site I found that sold volvo penta gear oil charged 30 bucks for shiping on one gallon of oil! I think I found my solution though. I'm going to go with the amsoil 80w 90 full synthetic marine gear oil. ordering directly from amsoil it's much cheaper and only about 15 dollars in shipping for how much I need for two seasonal changes.

Last edited:

One site I found that sold volvo penta gear oil charged 30 bucks for shiping on one gallon of oil! I think I found my solution though. I'm going to go with the amsoil 80w 90 full synthetic marine gear oil. ordering directly from amsoil it's much cheaper and only about 15 dollars in shipping for how much I need for two seasonal changes.

Hold on - let me get you the PC discount. You can go through my site, or use #515729 when you go through the process. Just add preferred customer to your shopping cart. Thanks!

Well, 11 bucks in shipping and then tax. Pablo, now that I got that out of the way about the drive, which amsoil motor oil would you recommend for a 2004 volvo penta 4.3 gxi?

Originally Posted By: Pablo
[quote=monste

Hold on - let me get you the PC discount. You can go through my site, or use #515729 when you go through the process. Just add preferred customer to your shopping cart. Thanks!

Thank you. Iwill go through your site. Ill probably place an order monday.

Originally Posted By: cchase
My Volvo SX manual specifically, by name recommends Mobil 1 75w90 if the Volvo Penta fluid is unavailable.

Is that out of your genuine volvo penta owners manual? My 2004 owners manual does not give an alternative recommmendation for the gear lube outside of the vp gear lube. However, my clymer repair manual does. It says to use mobilube shv if the vp gear lube is not avalible. What year os your outdrive?

My Volvo SX manual specifically, by name recommends Mobil 1 75w90 if the Volvo Penta fluid is unavailable.

I've used Mobil 1 75w90 in my SX for five years. No worries!

Originally Posted By: Gillsy

I've used Mobil 1 75w90 in my SX for five years. No worries!

Would that be the full synthetic ls (limited slip) formula?

Is that out of your genuine volvo penta owners manual? My 2004 owners manual does not give an alternative recommmendation for the gear lube outside of the vp gear lube. However, my clymer repair manual does. It says to use mobilube shv if the vp gear lube is not avalible. What year os your outdrive?

My outdrive is a 1995 model. Things may have changed since then, but I'm not sure why/how.

No, exactly like this: Mobilube SHC fully synthetic sae 75w90. Don't think that's LS. The drive has a cone clutch, you don't want that to slip=heat.

Originally Posted By: lars11
No, exactly like this: Mobilube SHC fully synthetic sae 75w90. Don't think that's LS. The drive has a cone clutch, you don't want that to slip=heat.

Lars, you are correct that the manual recommends Mobil 1 SHC 75w90 and not Mobil 1 LS 75w90. I did not read this thread well enough to notice that the debate was over LS or SHC, just whether M1 gear lube was recommended. Either way, I'm not sure if the LS would cause any issues - simply because I don't think they put very much FM in the LS fluid over the SHC fluid. In my experience, no LS diff is happy with the Mobil 1 LS fluid, which leads me to believe there isn't enough FM in there to bother with the clutches in the SX, but that's speculation and no more.

well, maybe it will work. However, this is one application where I wouldnt try to outsmart the manual at all. Note Volvo's intensity in recommending only Volvo OR SHC and nothing else.
In the steering servo or engine, Volvo recommends its own (of course) or "any dexron" or in the engine API SH... quite open recommendation, right?
But in the drive, ONLY Volvo full synth OR the Mobil SHC. That's no joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back