Inexpensive but accurate torque wrench?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a 3/8 HF that I broke years ago. I also have a 1/2 HF (pittsburg) and it's fine. I have a Husky 3/8 inch and that is a much nicer torque wrench. Nothing is wrong with the HF 1/2. For the price it can't be beat.

Regards, JC.

HF torque wrenches are ridiculously cheap when on sale with a coupon compared to all other off-shore brands. You are talking about 1/5 to 1/10 price difference! You can afford to gamble and confirm their accuracy yourself. You can get all three sizes for less than a single off-shore Craftsman or Husky!

- Vikas

I had a DUD HF one but returned it and the replacement works well.

hard to beat that unless you are going to drop serious $$$ on something nice.

no point in buying chinese sears over HF

I have the 3/8" and 1/4" drive, I still use a chinese AAP brand one for 1/2"(was 38$) it is slightly nicer than the HF to read but otherwise fairly identical.

Last edited:
Fwiw, just checked my 3/8" and 1/2" HF torque-ers, both made in Taiwan. Currently many coopins in automotive/motorcycle mags and others with choice of 1/4, 3/8 or 1/2, $9.99.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Fwiw, just checked my 3/8" and 1/2" HF torque-ers, both made in Taiwan. Currently many coopins in automotive/motorcycle mags and others with choice of 1/4, 3/8 or 1/2, $9.99.

my 2 cents is if you do get harbor freight make sure it works in store. (if you are driving a long way to harbor freight)

sometimes they keep broken tools laying around.. at least around here.

Last edited:
I happened to be in sears today..

all the torque wrench's are now made in china even the beam ones..

the only exceptions are the the more expensive digital ones.

the cheaper digital ones are also china

Why do tools always have to be inexpensive? I never could understand that. People never
complain about new homes being expensive, or new cars being expensive; they'll just
pay whatever the current price is and not even think twice about it. But when it comes
to tools, they're supposed to be super cheap. There's two items I wish I could get real
cheap at Harbor Freight: gasoline and perennial rye grass seed...

Originally Posted By: Rocko1
I need a inexpensive torque wrench for general auto repair. 3/8". I have heard Harbor Freights is not good and very inaccurate. Thanks.

I have both the 1/2 and 1/4 TW from HF and have found both of them to be excellant. Haven't used the 1/4 much,( it's the inch pound one) but I torque all my lug nuts with the 1/2 when I rotate tires.

Quote:
Why do tools always have to be inexpensive? I never could understand that. People never
complain about new homes being expensive, or new cars being expensive; they'll just
pay whatever the current price is and not even think twice about it. But when it comes
to tools, they're supposed to be super cheap.

No offence to Americans but a good percentage of them have lost all sense of what quality even is and put little or no value in it.
If it breaks just buy another or its guaranteed.

I demand a lot from my tools, they have to work properly every time and I'm willing to pay for it because i understand quality cost money and i expect to have it a very long time.
Some guys want the quality for cheap and believe they have found it in HF. Its not happening, junk is junk no matter how you dress it up or how long you guarantee it.
HF tools are pure rubbish when compared to real quality tools.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Quote:
to tools, they're supposed to be super cheap.

No offence to Americans but a good percentage of them have lost all sense of what quality even is and put little or no value in it.
If it breaks just buy another or its guaranteed.

I demand a lot from my tools, they have to work properly every time and I'm willing to pay for it because i understand quality cost money and i expect to have it a very long time.
Some guys want the quality for cheap and believe they have found it in HF. Its not happening, junk is junk no matter how you dress it up or how long you guarantee it.
HF tools are pure rubbish when compared to real quality tools.

In some cases you're right, others no. However if you use your tools for a living it pays to buy the best. That's why I will only buy Miller welders and Victor torches. But for the once a month mechanic, HF is fine in most cases.

I'm 68 years old, I rotate my tires once a year, how many times am I going to use my H/F torque wrench in the future?

For some reason I feel the H/F is going to fill the bill for me, not sure of my logic, just guessing.

Oh i hear you and agree, you make a compelling case.
But say a young guy 20-30 yrs old is doing DIY on his car pretty regular then honestly i think he will better served in the long run with a high quality tool that he can use many yrs.
I am sure the HF is fine for the occasional lug nut job.

I don't know if i could break the habit of buying quality even at 68 yrs old but you make a fair point.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
complain about new homes being expensive, or new cars being expensive;
Peasants always valued land and a house over dental work and their life in general. For two bux off they will volunteer to bend over for each other, provided the other one wears a TSA uniform. They even brag over how much they saved, without realizing how much they lost.
Germans still have a dozen of *premier* tool makers despite the astronomic labor costs. Culture trumps the System.

I need a inexpensive torque wrench for general auto repair. 3/8". I have heard Harbor Freights is not good and very inaccurate. Thanks.

The HF 1/2" is pretty good.

Their 3/8", I can never get it click.

Pinwu

I need from about 2ft lbs to 50 or so. Reading the reviews seems many claim the HF inaccurate.

It'll depend on what you are using it for. For lug nuts,
the HF 1/2" should be fine. For anything delicate, I might
invest in quality.

On the other hand, it might be hard to cover the range of
2-50 lb-ft, you may need two, a 1/4" to cover the low torque
range, then a 3/8" or 1/2" to cover the 20-50 ft-lb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back