Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the best synthetic Oil & Filter for my:
2004 Subaru Legacy
2.5 Liter 4 cylinder
130K to date
40% highway and 60% city driving

There is no "best" oil.

OEM filter if you can get it for an decentprice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to BITOG lgrant!

It all depends on your budget and type of vehicle usage. Usually extended oil changes are not recommended on Subaru's! If you track, you can consider popular oils such as Red Line, Renewable Lubricants etc. You can use any of the synthetic oils by major brands for regular maintenance. If you wanna go down extending the oil change interval, for which I suggest you consult with members at various Subaru forums, and Amsoil will be an excellent proven choice!

Don't use 0w20 or 5w20 these engines are not spec'd for that oil. If anything these engines like it a little thicker.
Is this a turbo 2.5 engine?

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
M-1 0w20 or 0w30 synthetic...year round.
OCI; 7000K miles +/-
Purolator PureOne Filter

Keep it simple.....

those engines arent backspec'ed for 20weight so thats wrong.

5w30 or 0w30 is fine for NA 2.5's if its a turbo
might even want to do a 5w40

The general consensus I have gathered from my time on BITOG is that the NA Subarus are generally easy on oil. So, if you are going to use synthetic, as said any major brand will probably do a great job. I've been using QSUD for the last three changes with great results; with its price my wallet is a little happier too. Normally I run the Purolator P1 filter, but this time I used the NAPA Gold due to its 23 psi bypass. I really can't tell much difference from the P1, though.

"Best"? IMHO it might just be AMSOIL HDD 5W-30 and an AMSOIL filter.

But you don't really need either one. Buy the 5W-30 synthetic (or conventional) that's FREE! after Rebate and use a good filter. Your Subaru can last a long, long time!

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back