Performance Hybrid ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could use a bit of help with possibly choosing a hybrid bike. I've been out of cycling for ten years now. I used to ride mountain and road....plus had a tandem for a while. I've had high end bikes....and medium quality. Near my home and the places I will ride are only paved trails. I'm blessed in my area with hundreds of miles of paved trails, all within only a short drive from my home. My main requirements of the bike are a flat handlebar, 700c tires, aluminum frame, no disc brakes, quality components (nothing much below Shimano 105 or better), non-suspended fork, and very light weight. I'll be riding it for fitness and enjoy speed. The front chain rings do not need to be a triple, but they must be at least a double for hills. Price range is from $800 to $1200 or so. I've just begun looking. An example would be the Cannondale Quick 3 for about $849. I would prefer a tad better component group however.
Any ideas out there??

Wow....76 views and not one comment? I guess I don't feel so bad for having a tough time finding what I am looking for.

this definitely fits the bill: http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/performance-hybrid/cadent-ft3-12/

Besides, you're in Covington, you should really be trying to keep it local and by a Raleigh! I think Cycle Therapy should be just down the hill from you. Honestly, most manufacturers will have something right up your alley and the spec will be very similar. It's a really competitive, low-margin part of the market. You won't get a bad bike in this price range, regardless of the manufacturer.

I wouldn't avoid the 2012 Tiagra stuff. It's gotten a lot better, and it's 10 speed now, which helps with replacement parts down the line (you can still easily get 9 speed stuff, but you're a lot more limited on quality levels).

It's definitely a suitable bike for our area; 34x30 low gear, fender and rack braze-ons. The carbon fork is a really worthwhile upgrade over the lower-end bikes, as is really does dampen quite a bit of vibration. You can even bit a prett beefy cross tire in there (without fenders, of course) if you want to ride it offroad a bit.

I helped a friend get a bike recently, one of the cannondale quicks, I forget which one.
it's got discs and a suspension fork, though still plenty light. he loves it!
anyway, I don't look necessarily at the name, but I start to see if the chainrings are replaceable. some mfgrs will put a high end rear derailluer on it to get your attention, but then cheap out on other stuff, like the crank.
I'd recommend a surly pacer. I have mine set up with a flat bar. it's a wonderful simple bike.
http://surlybikes.com/bikes/pacer

Originally Posted By: JOD
this definitely fits the bill: http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/performance-hybrid/cadent-ft3-12/

Besides, you're in Covington, you should really be trying to keep it local and by a Raleigh! I think Cycle Therapy should be just down the hill from you. Honestly, most manufacturers will have something right up your alley and the spec will be very similar. It's a really competitive, low-margin part of the market. You won't get a bad bike in this price range, regardless of the manufacturer.

I wouldn't avoid the 2012 Tiagra stuff. It's gotten a lot better, and it's 10 speed now, which helps with replacement parts down the line (you can still easily get 9 speed stuff, but you're a lot more limited on quality levels).

It's definitely a suitable bike for our area; 34x30 low gear, fender and rack braze-ons. The carbon fork is a really worthwhile upgrade over the lower-end bikes, as is really does dampen quite a bit of vibration. You can even bit a prett beefy cross tire in there (without fenders, of course) if you want to ride it offroad a bit.

Thanks JOD. I've been to Cycle Therapy in the past. They seemed helpful....but a tad more expensive than many. I do like the Raleigh bike you linked. My only concern would be the ease and smoothness of operation with those components. I've had Shimano 105 stuff in the past and just loved it's fantastic shifting. I should just go ride the bike and see for myself how the latest Tiagra feels. I like the carbon fork for sure. That front chainring looks kinda neat...and substantial. Raleigh has been sold a few times in the past fifteen years....has it not? The bikes are made somewhere in Asia I believe? I recall in the past a large warehouse near Kent with a Raleigh sign on the side.
And no, I don't ride offroad anymore. I don't even like to ride on the side of the streets anymore with all the dangerous drivers texting these days. Paved trails only (at least we have a TON of them around here).
Thanks.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
I helped a friend get a bike recently, one of the cannondale quicks, I forget which one.
anyway, I don't look necessarily at the name, but I start to see if the chainrings are replaceable. some mfgrs will put a high end rear derailluer on it to get your attention, but then cheap out on other stuff, like the crank.
I'd recommend a surly pacer. I have mine set up with a flat bar. it's a wonderful simple bike.

Thanks mpvue....nice bike. I'm not a fan of steel frames though. I've not heard of that bike before. It is carried here at several shops however. Interesting.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

Thanks mpvue....nice bike. I'm not a fan of steel frames though. I've not heard of that bike before. It is carried here at several shops however. Interesting.

oh. I always come back to steel, even when I've ridden 'good' aluminum frames. no fragile vaporware crabon fiber, no spindly replaceable dropouts, etc.
surly is owned by Quality Bicycle Products, the best bicycle distributor there is. just about any bike shop uses them, and any bike shop can order a surly.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

oh. I always come back to steel, even when I've ridden 'good' aluminum frames. no fragile vaporware crabon fiber, no spindly replaceable dropouts, etc.
surly is owned by Quality Bicycle Products, the best bicycle distributor there is. just about any bike shop uses them, and any bike shop can order a surly.

I've had steel. It's ok.....but not when compared to a quality aluminum (my preference). I'm not a fan of a full carbon fiber bike either. I like a blend of aluminum and fiber. I think everybody that has ridden a bunch has a preferred frame material. I've known many folks that love each type and will never change. Nothing wrong with that. I like stiff frames and chain stays to transmit solid power on each pedal stroke....yet vibration dampening with light weight at the same time. Corrosion plays into the picture too as it rains a lot here.

Yeah, Raleigh moved just north a bit (still in Kent). They actually used to manufacture product there, one of the last US mfgs of mid-range bikes. It's a long, sad story but I'll spare you the details. Bottom line is it's tough to compete with Chinese goods.

There's a bit difference in Tiagra 10 speed stuff--it's actually good. My wife has about 7,000 miles on it on her rain/commuter bike, and it's held up really well (she has the Clubman ).. It's world's better than the older Tiagra stuff.

One thing to note is that when you try out different bikes, they may "feel" different. While frame design/material plays a part, particularly with the fork, about 90% of what you're "feeling" is the tires. They're basically your car's tires and entire suspension components all rolled into one. Good tires can make an overly stiff bike feel good, and vice verse. And it's easy to change tires.

A few years ago, the bikes in this segment were lame; they were basically re-tooled road bikes. Now they have slacker geometry, taller head tubes, and the frames generally have smaller diameter tubes so even the aluminum bikes aren't overly harsh. So, like I said earlier I don't think you can get a bad bike in that range. I'd probably check out a couple of different shops and just go with the place from which you get the best vibe and the best deal.

Originally Posted By: JOD
Yeah, Raleigh moved just north a bit (still in Kent). They actually used to manufacture product there, one of the last US mfgs of mid-range bikes. It's a long, sad story but I'll spare you the details. Bottom line is it's tough to compete with Chinese goods.

There's a bit difference in Tiagra 10 speed stuff--it's actually good. My wife has about 7,000 miles on it on her rain/commuter bike, and it's held up really well (she has the Clubman ).. It's world's better than the older Tiagra stuff.

One thing to note is that when you try out different bikes, they may "feel" different. While frame design/material plays a part, particularly with the fork, about 90% of what you're "feeling" is the tires. They're basically your car's tires and entire suspension components all rolled into one. Good tires can make an overly stiff bike feel good, and vice verse. And it's easy to change tires.

A few years ago, the bikes in this segment were lame; they were basically re-tooled road bikes. Now they have slacker geometry, taller head tubes, and the frames generally have smaller diameter tubes so even the aluminum bikes aren't overly harsh. So, like I said earlier I don't think you can get a bad bike in that range. I'd probably check out a couple of different shops and just go with the place from which you get the best vibe and the best deal.

Good to know about the Tiagra. Last time I used that line was about ten years ago. I was not impressed. I hope the newer components are a bit more refined and durable.
I hear you about the tires. It's typically one of the first upgrades I give a bike after purchasing.
I've emailed Cycle Therapy on the price of that Raleigh you linked. It will make a good starting point. I have a few other brands to look at and test ride as well. I'll try REI, Center Cycle, Performance Bike Shop, Angle Lake Cyclery, and even Greggs Greenlake. Maybe by the time I make a purchase they will have those sandbags removed from the Green River Trail!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back