2005 Focus 5spd MT - gear oil options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Manual transaxle Motorcraft Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid"
Part Number: XT-M5-QS
Specification: WSD-M2C200–C

That's what the owners manual says to use. Is there an equivalent available at the parts store or am I forced to make the trip to the dealer?

Been searching and no joy. Doesn't anyone with Fords drain and fill manual transmission fluid?

When I did the Manual Transmission fluid exchange on my former 2010 Focus I used the Ford fluid which I bought @ the dealer. Did alot research on the subject at the time and determined the Ford fluid was the best to use. Amsoil makes a good manual gear fluid as well. 75w-90. Super easy to do and really was worth it. Check on the Ford Focus Fanatics forums for more info on your car. BTW, the wife has a 2005 ZX5 and she loves her car! The Duratec motor is very strong and reliable. Good car overall. Hate the "lifetime" air filter. Will replace one day (the car has less 60k mi). Good Luck

Do you know anything else about the fluid? Which of the types of MTF is it, an ATF, 5w-30 or 75w-90 type? Any cross references from catalogs like the Amsoil online one?

I`d try the Amsoil equivilent. When it comes to manual trans oils and gear oils,Amsoil wins hands down in my experience.

I have a 2006 ZX4 SES with the manual and yes it is fun to drive.. The 2.0 duratec likes to run. Terry Haines over at fordcontour.org has tons of experience with the MTX-75 and recommends the Ford fluid. He also stated that Royal Purple Syncromax and Rotella T6 5w40 are acceptable as well. I personally used T6 in mine. Feels great in the warmer climates, but here in the winter, where it gets down to the high teens, the trans can be a bit difficult to get into gear. When its replaced again I will probably use either the Ford fluid (if I can get a loan) or the Royal Purple stuff. I only used T6 cuz I could not get RP, and I didn't feel like paying $20/qt from the Ford dealer.

You are not going to change the trans fluid often - a little time and a few bucks is really not a factor in the long run..
The Ford stuff has had great reviews, and seems very good on paper.
I also agree that Amsoil's offerings are very fine.

Contact Pablo on this site and he can tell you what you need in Amsoil, and ship it to your door.

Ok, Ford dealer for the fluid it is. 80k on this car, which I picked up used for my sis-in-law and I want to do a complete round maintenance so she doesn't have to do anything other than oil changes for another 80k.

It is a pretty fun car to drive, sportier than I had predicted (ZX4 ST).

Although the clutch engages pretty low and I'm worried about wear. I'll try bleeding the clutch and brakes and see if that helps.

Also see if you can adjust the freeplay in the rod to the clutch master cylinder. This helps.
I like a hair more than zero freeplay there.

Got the fluid from the dealer @ $20/qt. Yikes!

Drained the previous fill and it was 1qt low (only drained 1 qt). It had an axle shaft replaced at some point, assuming they did not refill the transmission when they did that.
mad.gif

I will take a look at adjusting the pedal, thanks for the tip!

Were you having problems with it shifting hard? Or just wanted to replace the fluid?

I'm going to be replacing my MTX75 fluid soon hopefully.

For $40 I could flush 8x that through my Cherokee!

It was occasionally hard to get into gear, 1st and reverse mostly. Now it's much better. But I did this as preventative maintenance mostly. If I had to suggest an interval, I'd say this synthetic Motorcraft is good for 100k in normal service, 50-75k in severe.

I use the Ford Synthetic in my Mazdaspeed3 and change it every 30K miles since it sees the occasional HPDE. It's great stuff- and worth every penny!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back