Auto-RX in the old Toyota,lets see what happens

Status
Not open for further replies.
after work i did a oil change, put in auto-rx with mobil 10w-30 drive clean with a napa gold 1516 in my 89 toyota V6 with 186+ miles on it.lets see what happens after 500 miles.i will drop a line and tell what happend.

Will auto-rx work the same way even if I have synthetic (Mobil 1) in the engine? Just had the oil changed 650 miles ago so it's still relatively new. Should I drain the oil and put in dyno oil?
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by kiko:
Will auto-rx work the same way even if I have synthetic (Mobil 1) in the engine? Just had the oil changed 650 miles ago so it's still relatively new. Should I drain the oil and put in dyno oil?
smile.gif

Definitely not! You don't want to waste perfectly good oil!
smile.gif
When running Auto-rx with an oil with esters in it, you just need to run it a bit longer. So instead of running it for 500 miles, try it for 1000 miles instead. Be sure to put on a new oil filter when you start the treatment though! So wait until you're getting towards the end of your current interval with Mobil 1.

In our testing the RX worked as a cleaner just fine with most off the shelf oils including M1. Oil does its thing RX does cleaning and dispersing. Stick with what you have in the engine, RX was designed to save money not waste it on changing oils out ! Run the RX up to 1000-1500 miles in this situation if cleaning. If maintenance dosage run it the full interval.

I took RX out well past 3000 - 5000 miles in differing applications with never a problem.

There is some question about seal leak stoppage effectiveness with Synthetics but we did not specifically test for that.
Nor did I observe any problems in that area.

quote:

Originally posted by troy_heagy:

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
When running Auto-rx with an oil with esters in it, you just need to run it a bit longer.

Why?

Troy

Because for some reason the different esters in Auto-rx compete for space with the esters in your oil, so it just takes longer to accomplish the same level of cleaning.

I just stumbled upon all this today and I'm trying to come up to speed.

I've got a '99 Mazda Protege which I bought a couple years ago from Hertz Car Rentals. I commute about 110 miles a day and its got 135,000 miles on it. I just got the oil and filter changed yesterday.

If after reading a bit more about Auto-RX, I decide to try it, do I just pour it in, or wait to add it to the next oil change? I guess I'm worried that it'll be too much fluid in the engine. And then drive around for about 1000 miles (2 weeks for me!) and then have the oil (and filter) changed again. That should be all there is to it, right?

quote:

Originally posted by eflat:
I just stumbled upon all this today and I'm trying to come up to speed.

I've got a '99 Mazda Protege which I bought a couple years ago from Hertz Car Rentals. I commute about 110 miles a day and its got 135,000 miles on it. I just got the oil and filter changed yesterday.

If after reading a bit more about Auto-RX, I decide to try it, do I just pour it in, or wait to add it to the next oil change? I guess I'm worried that it'll be too much fluid in the engine. And then drive around for about 1000 miles (2 weeks for me!) and then have the oil (and filter) changed again. That should be all there is to it, right?

You can add it to your existing oil if you wish, just put on a new oil filter first.

But make sure you run it in an oil that does not contain esters in it. So choose a conventional oil like Pennzoil or Chevron or GTX for instance, and none of the high mileage oils. Run it for 750 to 1000 miles, then change the oil again with the same oil (if you're fixing a leak, otherwise go with whatever oil you choose at this point)

I have found that Auto-rx works very well in the Schaeffer Supreme blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back