Auto-Rx... Mileage or Hours of Operation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I know what the instructions say, but here is my scenario:

I changed the filter on my Grand Am, added Auto-Rx, and proceeded to take a 600 mile road trip. Although I have accumulated the recommended miles, the engine has only seen 10-15 hrs of operation. I am taking another 400 mile trip next weekend. Am I safe to leave the Auto-Rx in for 1000-1300 miles, instaed of the usual 500-750?

It would seem to me that someone could easily run Auto-Rx for 100 hrs to accumulate 500 miles, where as I have not had this stuff in the crankcase for very long, and I have already hit ~600 miles. Can I run longer without fear of a plugged filter? The car has a 3.4 GM V6 with 46k miles on the engine. Filter is an oversized PF52 AC Delco.

Frank? Terry? Anyone else know?

Thanks!
smile.gif

Auto-RX cleans when the oil is hot, at operating temp. That would be the best way to drive to clean your engine. I wish I could do the same, but have no place to go.

I would say the only way to know for sure it to remove the filter and cut it open to see what's is in there. If you'll sleep better after you put a new filter on, then I would go with a new filter for $3.99.

someone told me auto rx works better on miles than on time. i dont see the damage of going a little more on miles, its actually extra cleaning to me. im extending my second interval to 2000 miles instead of 1500.

u must like going on road trips =)

Auto-Rx in your oil over mileage recommended for results will not hurt anything. Just keep a clean filter on your engine. The contaminants held in suspension by Auto-Rx have to have a clean filter to deposit them. Change out your oil and filter as soon as you can. Auto-Rx does not plug filters, it fills them up with third party abrasives from your engine.

The filter that I am using is an extra capacity model. The engine is not sludged up (only 46k miles), and seemed relatively clean before Auto-Rx. Based on your comments, I think I will take it to 1000-1300 miles using the filter that I installed when I started the treatment. I guess the worst that could happen is that I could be running in bypass mode if the filter gets too full. Anyone see any problems with this plan?

Well I would air on the side of caution and just put a new filter on it. It will take you all of 2 minutes includeing the time it takes to open the box with the new filter. If you are worried about the mess just take a 2 liter pop bottle and cut the bottom off. Leave the cap on the other end. Break the old filter loose and then slip the bottle over the end of the filter and continue to remove filter. THe filter will drop in the bottle and the little bit of oil that comes out will drain into the bottle too. No need for drain pan or anything like that! P.S. I would not want to trust a bypass system to deliver the proper volume and pressure of oil to your bearing on a long road trip. I especialy would not want to trust it while I know I have more sludge then normal floating around in my oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back