Burning lots of oil, WIll AUTO RX work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I have a 1990 F-150 4x4 which has 110,000 miles. Within the last 5,000 miles, it has been having a terrible oil problem. Mainly at startup, it sends a huge puff of blue smoke out. When idling for a while, it starts burning oil. It goes through a quart about every 600 miles. The oil does seem to get dirty relatively quick after I change it. What could the problem be, dirty engine or worn parts? Should I try auto-rx? Thanks!

Auto-Rx will clean your engine internally, help to free stuck rings,& condition seals. It's great stuff, but it will not replace or repair metal(worn/broken rings, worn cyl walls, bearings, etc), nor will it repair cracked or torn seals. So, the question becomes, what's wrong with the vehicle,what's causing all this oil burning & smoke? Maybe a better mechanic than me can offer some diagnostic possibilities.

It sounds like part or all of your problem(s) is the valve seals. My Blazer used to puff smoke when you first started it. I replaced the valve seals and it doesn't do that anymore. Depending on how bad the valve seals are, Auto Rx might help recondition the valve seals. On my Blazer, there were some valves that were missing the seals because most of them were cracked, so I guess some of them broke off and disappeared.
shocked.gif
If you know how to replace them, they are a cheap fix. Cost me like 20 bucks for the seals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back