Some TR-6060 questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there fellow BITOGers.. I'm finnaly back into a 6MT vehicle.

In this case it's attached to an LSA in a CTS-V.

Even though I have a general idea of what I'm going to do for OCI's and oil choice after a few hours of searching I still have a few questions;

concerning the TR6060;

1) I know that any Universal ATF is generally recomended for this trans, and some even go with syncromesh or an acutal gear oil.

I was partial to some Mobil 1 ATF myself(for warranty reasons mostly, but it's also available locally) however I have concerns about using this since the specification for this trans very specifically states Dexron III. It was designed during a time that Dexron VI was avaliable so I have to wonder if there's an actual reason that this was specifically required. Anyone know if My assumptions have grounds? On the one hand I want to use the right product, but on the other hand, Dex III is an obsolete specification, so the *only* oil that's going to be compliant is NOS that's a couple of years old..

2) about when should I change the factory fill oil?

What year is your car? I use Amsoil Torque Drive ATF in my 1998 Corvette 6 speed. Up until 2001, these transmissions used paper blocker rings and you could NOT use Mobil 1 ATF in them.

I tried Mobil 1 ATF but had problems after 50,000 miles and switched to Amsoil, which immediately solved my problems.

I would change at 50,000-60,000 miles.

Last edited:
Quote:
What year is your car? I use Amsoil Torque Drive ATF in my 1998 Corvette 6 speed. Up until 2001, these transmissions used paper blocker rings and you could NOT use Mobil 1 ATF in them.

I had read that as well, and that they since went to Carbon fiber Blocker rings so people have *assumed* it's OK to use Mercon V type ATF fluid.
it's a 2012 model year with an april build date.

Quote:
I would change at 50,000-60,000 miles.

really? I was thinking 5,000 miles.

The severe service schedule trans oil change for the CTS-V is 25K, and I'm sure between my every day driving and autocross/VIR/MIR sessions I qualify for that.

Quote:
I tried Mobil 1 ATF but had problems after 50,000 miles and switched to Amsoil, which immediately solved my problems.

50K on the single OCI or just 50K worth of OCI's?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
The shop manual never calls for change of trans fluid ! It was one OCI of 50,000 miles.

ahh yes, the infamous lifetime fill.

imgp0483n.jpg

Last edited:
I would NOT EVER, NEVER use a Dexron 6 fluid in a Tremec manual gearbox!!!!
31.gif

It is WAAAAYYYY TOO THIN!!
There is a reason it is NOT 'backdated' for the manual gearboexes the way it is for the slushboxes which previously used the Dex 3.
wink.gif

If you are worried about warranties I would just go with the Mobil 1 (you can always tell the dealer that plain old mineral based Dex 3 labelled/specced fluid is LONG GONE!).

If not RL D4, or Amsoil's ATF (or Torque Drive, as Corvette Owner has suggested) are both EXCELLENT choices!

If you are REALLY beating on this gearbox for LONG open-track sessions in high heat, some would suggest RL's MTL, or Amsoil's MTF (or a 50/50 mix of those and their equivalent company's ATFs).

I would NEVER put an actual (labelled) gear oil in a street Tremec gearbox! (WAAAYYY TOO THICK! Besides the compounds in a GL-5 fluid eating up the blocker rings/adhesives for such in a T56/TR-6060 no matter WHAT materials they are made of!!)

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Are you saying that a new 2012 vehicle specs fluid that is no longer made?

Dexron 3 is still made... it's just no longer called Dexron 3. The *offical* new GM part name is "Manual Transmission Fluid". The GM P/N is 88861800.

Does the manual actually call out Dexron 3 specifically? That would be very strange, since it's been an obsolete specification for several years.

For warranty concerns, stick with GM manual transmission fluid, as MrHorspwer posted. Aside from warranty, Mobil1 ATF (or really any Dex/Merc ATF) will work. Royal Purple also has a "Synchromax" product with ATF viscosity but a gear oil additive package.

Originally Posted By: NateDN10
Does the manual actually call out Dexron 3 specifically? That would be very strange, since it's been an obsolete specification for several years.

For warranty concerns, stick with GM manual transmission fluid, as MrHorspwer posted. Aside from warranty, Mobil1 ATF (or really any Dex/Merc ATF) will work. Royal Purple also has a "Synchromax" product with ATF viscosity but a gear oil additive package.

It does not call for Dexron III specifically, It just calls for the GM Part number. Even the bottle doesn't say Dexron III, It calls itself GM manual transmission and transfer case fluid or similar.
Originally Posted By: 2012 CTS-V users manual

Manual Transmission (CTS-V) Manual Transmission Fluid (GM Part No. 88861800, in Canada 88861801

The only reason we know it's Dexron III is;
we know it comes FF with Texaco Dex III, and I believe other vette users manuals acutally quote Dex III back before the license expired.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, I would be curious about the differences between the mercon V M1 ATF specification/fomula and the Dexron III Specification. Someone mentioned VI is too thin and thus why it was not backwards compatible with MT Dexron III requirements. My retort to that would be, has anyone done VOA's on the GM part number oil and M1 ATF to see if there are substantial differences in these oils? I'm thinking what may be useable may not necessary be better.

Last edited:
acutally.. through some searching
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1614231

and it does sort of confirm my concerns. There's more than twice the boron, phosphorous and calcium in m1 ATF versus the GM stuff, but at least the visc is the same. Now I just need to remember if any of these elements can cause harm in the 6060's internals.

The other thing too--- what's a good FF oil drain intervale? I would imagine it should be longer than an engine or diff since there's a lot of moving parts trying to wear in. Does 5,000 sound acceptable? Thanks again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back