Just welcomed a *new* 01 VW Cabrio to the stable..

Status
Not open for further replies.
From my reading on here it looks like M1 0w40 is gonna be my best bet? I also like Rotella Blue bottle T6, does it do ok in these 2.0's?

The wife absolutely loves this little car, its still solid and runs excellent with 150k miles on her..

Congrats on the VW... I just bought my daughter an 06 A4 with the 2.0T... The car itself is an awesome piece of work... But the 2.0T really has me worried...

Do some reading here...

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/336352-Audi-FSI-Engine-Carbon-Build-up-Megathread

Lubrizol states the use of Low SAPS oils will help reduce these valve deposits...

For Godness Sake don't go 10K miles between OCI... 5K is max with the 2.0 {Fuel Dilution} is a problem as well in most cases...

I also went with M1 0W-40 for our first oil change after bringing the 2.0T home... Only other oil that meets spec that I could find locally was Castrol 0W-30... for almost $9 a qt...

I did see a picture of a 2.0 using M1 0W-40 with a 10K Mile OCI and the Valves had so much build up on them, you could barely see them... I will try to find that pic...

Keep 5K mile OCI and keep an eye on your PCV system...

Congrats again...

I'm now looking into a Low SAPS oil to run in our 2.0T... Anything to help this issue... as well as a Low Volatility Oil.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
150k on a 2001 VW Cabrio....we all wish you nothing but the best.

Yes, specifically we wish for your auto trans not to conk out as they're know to do around that mileage.

As for the oil, the old 2.0 will run on just about anything.

Originally Posted By: -SyN-
Congrats on the VW... I just bought my daughter an 06 A4 with the 2.0T... The car itself is an awesome piece of work... But the 2.0T really has me worried...

Do some reading here...

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/336352-Audi-FSI-Engine-Carbon-Build-up-Megathread

His '01 is not a 2.0T. His is just an old school normally aspirated 2-liter engine that makes a whopping 115 hp and is rather reliable. It's the 4-speed auto transmissions of that vintage that tend to be problematic.

this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif

Oh wow.... you guys really got me worried now!

I got a steal on the car and it just had the timing belt, serp belt and water pump replaced as well as full tune-up. My wife is german, and she has wanted one of these darn cars for years! It was too good of a deal to pass up.

I ended up going with 2qts of GC and 2 qts of Castrol 5w40 mixed (AZ only had 2qts of the GC left), AZ had it on special for 32.99 and the Mobil 1 filter was an extra $3. I figure that should make a good blend to try for 5k miles and then I'll go with some M1 0w40.

I'm now looking into a Low SAPS oil to run in our 2.0T... Anything to help this issue... as well as a Low Volatility Oil. [/quote]

Hi, SyN, try Valvoline Synpower 5w40, a mid-saps oil. Now on sale at Napa Auto Parts for $5.79/quart.

Last edited:
Just pulled the intake and valve cover off this jewel to have a look around and it appears the previous owner took very good care of her... not too bad for 155k miles...

[img:center]
photo1.jpg
[/img]

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
and then I'll go with some M1 0w40.

But your sig now says PYB 5w-30?

Nothing wrong with it, since as I mentioned, the old VW 2.0 is not a demanding engine, but just wondering why the change of heart?

I've already ran a OCI of GC and the M1 through it! Sorry, should have updated the first post I guess...

I did short (4k miles) since I didn't know the maintenance history on the car and then I got to thinkin why does this little N/A 2.0 need such a high end oil so I figured I'd give good ol' PYB a shot! It seems to like it so far...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back