My latest Auto-rx success!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
I've been holding off on reporting this until I was a bit more sure, but it appears that Auto-rx has almost totally stopped the oil consumption in my car!

I initially thought my LT1 Firebird had the intake manifold leak, as that's the most common leak on these cars and from underneath the car it looked to me like the oil was coming from there. But since I last changed my oil, which was right after my second Auto-rx treatment, I've now gone 1450 miles and have not needed to add oil! I usually had to add 100ml of oil every 600 miles (I'd add oil when the first hole on the stick showed the level being slightly down). And what's even more amazing is that on this oil change I only put in 5.3 qts of oil instead of the usual 5.5!

So what was different about the second RX treatment? On the first one I only ran it for 600 miles, and with Maxlife during and after, which has esters in it. This time I did the treatment longer (1333 miles) and during and after I ran Schaeffer Oil (which to the best of my knowledge has no esters in it)

So I'm definitely impressed, I didn't think the leak that I had was solveable (if it was the intake leak it wouldn't be fixed by RX since the leak is caused by the EGR system heating up the RTV sealant on the backs of these manifolds, so once that sealant is compromised there is no way to fix it other than to tear it down and redo it) So my leak must've been the rear main seal, or something similar.

I have just started 2nd clean in my Outback with 10W30 Pennzoil Purebase SL (only pure dino I could find) and will run it about 3,000kms. No leaks just want the ring pack/lands really clean. Really like this stuff!

I have to say that I have not seen very much improvement from Auto-Rx. I left it in just slightly more then 500 miles and I removed the filter to see what I could see. I cut the filter open and removed the filter media. Their was some fine grit in the filter as would be expected and one or two pleats had fine traces of sludge. I am a bit disapointed. I really expeceted Auto-Rx to basicly give my car an enema! Because my car is over head valve their is not enough oil flow to the head for Auto-Rx to really do anything to remove the varnish/lacqer from the valve train parts. It has not made any difference that I can tell in performance, fuel economy of the oil leaks. I am going to start phase two and run some clean dino oil for 1500 miles before adding the second bottle. So far though I am not impressed. The car is a 1997 Buick Lasber with 109,000 miles and it was run 80,000 with M1 and 28,000 with Dino. These are estimates as my grandfather died and when he did I lost any records of maintence. I just know that he always used M1 but I know Grandma was useing Penzoil lube place for the last two years or so.
banghead.gif

John, since you are a mechanic, and hopefully have access to a emissions testing setup, compare the post Auto-RX test to your last emissions run.

Also if you perform UOA compare the before and after RX tests. On a relatively "clean" engine these are good indicators of efficacy of RX. The harder deposits you describe are being cleaned at the high temp/pressure areas and the UOA and Emissions readouts will prove it.

I work at a shop as a state inspector. I just got a 2nd car, a beater 1995 Neon so I don't have to drive my other car around. I inspected it myself about 600 miles ago. It blew 18ppm out of 220. Maybe I will do a tailpipe test on it after I am done with my first bottle of Rx. I have about 300 miles left to go. Maybe it will blow close to 0 now.
wink.gif

Update, I did a lot of driving this week, lots of full throttle too, and now have gone a total of 2000 miles since my oil change, and when I checked the dipstick this morning, it's still showing full! I might not even need to add any oil at all for this 5000 mile interval! Not bad when you consider that the previous rate of consumption was one quart every 6000 miles! Hopefully the townhouse complex will redo our driveways for us this year, since I'm now no longer oil staining my driveway with this car!

John what oil are you using with Auto-Rx? If syn 500 miles just isn't long enough and not even if you are using dino IMO. I think the mileage rec's are just too conservative and I have done plenty of testing.

Frank,

I purchased a couple of bottles of Auto-RX over the winter and I was extremely pleased with the results.

I'm looking to order some more for me and some for a friend to try. Are you currently running any "specials" for folks on the Bobistheoilguy site. This site is where I originally found out about your product.

I have used it on my '99 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor. This was a retired cruiser with 100K miles on the odometer (and lots of idle time). Auto-RX did a noticable job of cleaning up the motor.

I also used it on my '95 Lincoln Towncar with 86K miles. This car used about 1 quart of oil per 3K miles. I figured the oil seals needed replacement (this is a common problem on the pre '96 Ford 4.6L engines). After one Auto-RX treatment, the oil consumption went down to less than 1/2 quart per 3500 miles. I'm not sure if Auto-RX somehow cleaned and conditioned the valve seals or if possibly I had some sticky rings. Either way, I'm impressed with the results.

I want a friend to try some and I'm hoping your still running a special price.

Thanks for a product that works as advertised.

Terry I never thought to test anything about this car. I figured it was old and high millage and would not make for consistant results. I thankfully do not work as a mechanic any longer. I now do forensic power train work. I do alot of tech. adviseing. Imagine CSI for OEM power train issues. I do the tear down and testing at the mechanical and electrical level. If I find something that concerns me I bag the part and take them to the lab tech.'s. Then once I get the report back I take my finding to the engineers and they look at my work and make the dermination. Then they send a copy of the report to manufactureing engineer staff and they look at the report and try to figure out what is going on at the plant.

John, oil analysis and emissions testing are good indicators for the skeptics as regards this product. Also if that car had M1 run in it a long time the glazing deposit you speak to will be removed but more slowly. ]

Remember the 500 mile interval is worst case for sludge monsters and will clean the rings, journals etc. but may take longer the lower oil flow/unpressurized oil contact areas. I'd run the the RX to at least 1000 miles in this application if not more.
The 3 oz maintenance dose would work on those areas over time also.

I think it was Ted ( SLICK) who had really good results with removing synthetic oil residue from upper head area. Auto-RX is heat activated so the more its driven the better.

Ryan please share the test data when you get it.

For a beater the NEON 18ppm HC is pretty low .

Frank Miller of Auto-RX used to have a good amount of emissions testing on his website. You may have to dig to find it.

Happy cleaning !

As I said before I am not trying discourge it's use. I told everyone that I was going to report what ever I found. I did not find much in the filter so I did not have much to say. I was really hopeing I would find the mother load of sludge in the filter so I would know that the product was working. Without tearing the motor apart and doing microscopic anylasis(sp) of block and seals their is really no way to know for sure. Like you said if I had done emissions testing that before and after that might have been a good indiactor. Luckily my state does not require emsissions testing and it hopefuly never will. I am still going to perform phase two and do a second treatment. In any event it surely did not hurt anything. I am still hopeful that it will really clean the transmission out as this transmission had never been serviced!!!

sprintman I am not useing synthetic oil at all. I used the cheapest oil I could find to make sure that their were no esters competeing with Auto-Rx. I used Walmart Tech 2000 10W30. I changed the filter but left the oil and Auto-Rx in. I was so disapointed I decided to wait to next weekend and see if it made a difference going to 1000 miles. I have Delvac 1300 15W40 to put in once I have 1000 miles on the car. I am also considering adding another 6 oz. to the trans to make sure it cleans the trans out. I gues that with all the hype about the product I was really expecting alot from it!!!!

i'm having a very positive result on my 148k miles t-bid and after the first treatment the engine doesn't drink any more oil as before and the engine climb more happy without the roughness as before.
will do 2nd treatment cause just change the oil today.
before first treatment the oil pressure only remains at about half and little bit over and sometimes fluctuate little bit but now the oil pressure just constantly stays at 4/5 all the time no matter cold start or full throttle.
recommenging to other friends now.

gas milegae now also increase. even when i got the car with spark plug change and rear differential oil change i could only manage to do about 160 to 180 miles per tank until near emptywith about 95% city driving and 5% highway driving with occasianally heavy foot.
halfway through the treatment easily break 200 miles driving with still about 1/5 or sometimes 1/4of gas in tank.

John I am inclined to suspect your reported results are caused by missing a step in the application instructions. Please e-mail me at
[email protected] and let me know how you used Auto-Rx. Regarding the transmission it is very straightforward add 6 ounces only to existing transmission fluid and drive 1000 miles. Than drain transmission including torque converter, refill with transmission fluid of your choice.
Thats it John, by the way there is no "hype' regarding Auto-Rx.

[ May 20, 2003, 07:17 AM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back