Fram ULTRA oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I am the technical training manager at FRAM. The Ultra filter is the new name for the improved XG filter. The part numbers are the same. The improvements consist of taking efficiency from 97 to 99% using ISO 4548-12 tests with particle size in the 20 micron range. We also improved the media to increase capacity up to 32 grams in the XG8A size. We are confident all sizes have the capacity for 15k oil changes when used with high quality synthetic oil.
We have now begun production of made in usa cartridge filters as well. This includes the standard Extra Guard line and we will now have long life Ultra cartridge filters. All made in USA. For those who do not know, the construction of the Ultra filter consists of flanged steel end caps that capture a pleated mesh screen. The screen has two layers of synthetic glass media. They also have a silicone antidrainback valve and a new silicone/nitrile combination square cut O ring.
Happy to answer any questions you may have.

Motorking - thanks for the info. The FRAM Ultra sounds like an awesome filter IMO ... I would have no qualms using it.

I do however have a technical question about how FRAM advertises their efficiency data. I notice it always raises some contention and questions on this chat board.

From the FRAM website, it says:
"FRAM Group testing of filter efficiency and capacity of models equivalent to PH8A, 3387A and 6607 under ISO 4548-12 for particles > 20 microns."

When FRAM says "> 20 microns" can one basically say the rated efficiency is at 20 microns? This is how other filter manufactures rate efficiencies. I think the greater than sign throws some people for a loop.

In my mind, it would mean the Ultra (for instance) would be "99% efficient filtering out particles that are 20 microns or larger". Is that what FRAM means?

On a side note - I don't see the Ultra on FRAM's website yet. Seems the marketing website guys are sleeping.
wink.gif

http://fram.com/products/oil_filters/product_list

Hi,
The >20 microns in the disclaimer? Blame it on the Ultra competitiveness of the filter industry and company lawyers. We run ISO 4548-12 tests using particle sizes in 10-20 micron range for all claims. Then print the disclaimer so no other company can dispute the claims. A major competitor of ours is now basing it's disclaimer on >25 microns and I know for a fact they run 4548-12 using 20 micron particles. You will see more info on Ultra on the website soon. We have to keep the XG stuff up there because there are likely a million of them in the supply chain and we do not want our customers sending them back to us.

Originally Posted By: Motorking
Hi,
The >20 microns in the disclaimer? Blame it on the Ultra competitiveness of the filter industry and company lawyers. We run ISO 4548-12 tests using particle sizes in 10-20 micron range for all claims. Then print the disclaimer so no other company can dispute the claims. A major competitor of ours is now basing it's disclaimer on >25 microns and I know for a fact they run 4548-12 using 20 micron particles. You will see more info on Ultra on the website soon. We have to keep the XG stuff up there because there are likely a million of them in the supply chain and we do not want our customers sending them back to us.

Thanks for the info ... makes sense. FRAM should add some info on their website for the Ultra and keep the info for the XG until they are long gone.

Motorking: Thanks for the info and thanks for joining the board. Please stay! It might be tough for you at first but addressing direct questions is a sure way to end this OCOD bovine scatology. Can we address any other Fram questions to you? I know I have at least a bazillion general oil filters and a half-bazillion related to Fram.

Specific to the new Ultra line

1) What is the capacity of the Ultra equivalent to XG-2 filter (Ford 5.4L V8)

2) Does it have a base-end bypass (do any Frams, for that matter?)? I only aske because this cam up in a recent discussion and Ford seems fixated on them.

Motorking, Motorking, wherefore art thou, Motorking?

I bought an Ultra XG2 filter at my local Walmart. They had two or three numbers in stock on the shelf. I don't doubt the internal construction is superb but the paint work is appallingly bad. It's runny, cracked and peeling off in places and there is paint on the gasket. There were two Ultra XG2 filters on the shelf, and both were about the same. The gasket paint can be cleaned off and the exterior paint isn't a functional issue but these external issues could lead a less knowledgable purchaser to question overall quality when he dumps flaked paint out of the box. For the rest, pics when I get around to it. WM price for the Ultra XG2 was $8.97.

Last edited:
Interesting observation ! Will have to watch for the bad paintwork in the future. The very few Ultra filters I took a look ( because very few numbers are carried ) at at our local Wal Mart looked good and did not show the bad paint, or paint on the gasket you describe. Hope it's just an isolated bad run, but it's good to hear about it, especially on a new filter. Always have to wonder how this kind of shoddy work gets off the line. What say you Motorking ?

Quote:
Motorking, Motorking, wherefore art thou, Motorking?....

Fwiw, here and other net forums, general MO is post and go. No judgement here, just a factual observation. I will say his Fram youtubes/videos are very informative.

If I ran extended oci's, based on price for construction, the Ultra is the only Fram I'd consider.

Curious if the new Ultra retains the better user/installer friendly (on the box) tapping plate, or has also gone to cheaper plate.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:
Motorking, Motorking, wherefore art thou, Motorking?....

Fwiw, here and other net forums, general MO is post and go. No judgement here, just a factual observation. I will say his Fram youtubes/videos are very informative.

If I ran extended oci's, based on price for construction, the Ultra is the only Fram I'd consider.

Curious if the new Ultra retains the better user/installer friendly (on the box) tapping plate, or has also gone to cheaper plate.

I believe there was a thread started on here that showed the new ultra with the cheaper top plate.

For what it's worth I did not notice a paint issue on the one Ultra I have purchased and installed, and though I don't know what you are referring to when you say it doesn't have a "tapping plate" I had no issues at all installing mine. It is in a tough to reach location and I have to do it by feel as I can't really see what I am doing, and it seemed to thread on with no difficulty.

No, it's not that it doesn't have a tapping plate, sometimes referred to as a base plate, it's that Fram has gone to a cheaper plate, not the plate shown on the box and previously used.

Yes, it can still be installed even in difficult to see or blind applications, but it's not as installer friendly to line up with the engine mounting threads especially in those situations, as the previous improved design used for many years on all Frams.

The irony here is, the Champ ecore, now part of the same company as Fram, used to advertise as a feature the extra/added flat baseplate to make lining up and meshing with engine threads easier. If not there, the ecore tapping plate would look much the same as the new Frams. The recently show Fram Wally TLE ecore still uses the extra plate that's even/level with the end of the filter's mounting threads.

Thanks for the info. Glad they are USA made. I do my part to support companies that kerp.jobd here.

Originally Posted By: Motorking
Hello,
I am the technical training manager at FRAM. The Ultra filter is the new name for the improved XG filter. The part numbers are the same. The improvements consist of taking efficiency from 97 to 99% using ISO 4548-12 tests with particle size in the 20 micron range. We also improved the media to increase capacity up to 32 grams in the XG8A size. We are confident all sizes have the capacity for 15k oil changes when used with high quality synthetic oil.
We have now begun production of made in usa cartridge filters as well. This includes the standard Extra Guard line and we will now have long life Ultra cartridge filters. All made in USA. For those who do not know, the construction of the Ultra filter consists of flanged steel end caps that capture a pleated mesh screen. The screen has two layers of synthetic glass media. They also have a silicone antidrainback valve and a new silicone/nitrile combination square cut O ring.
Happy to answer any questions you may have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back