If you car park under the pine tree all year round

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing some cleaner under the hood of my new truck .I saw a few pine tree leaves stuck under the windshield, I decide to take it out, and saw 2-3 got stuck behind the guard plastic thing, I couldnt reach it, so I take out couple clip and pop the plastic guard out, OMG A NIGHTMARE , I saw A BUNCH of leaves got tuck all over ( no wonder my inside my truck have kinda bad smell ), I wear glove and reach under and try take out every pine tree leaves I can reach, and put some degreaser and spray it down with garden hose, it squeaky clean now, you never guest how much pine tree leaves I take out, imagine walmart grocery bag, ITS FULL ! I cant wait to see how dirty the cabin air filter is ( first time own a vehicle with cabin air filter ).

so if your car park under the tree or you just bought a car and knowing the person been park under the tree, pop the plastic thing under the windshield and check for leaves. Clean it out and it can help your vehicle smell better.

I had my Nova parked under a tree and it collected a lot of twigs and such in the lower rear windshield.After years of it getting wet and not drying quick,yup,rusted holes in the metal.

Also be careful of the sap. It can bake on a finish and etch it bad.

Be careful with maples, oaks and most any other trees. Shade is great, but trees make a mess of the car.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Also be careful of the sap. It can bake on a finish and etch it bad.

Be careful with maples, oaks and most any other trees. Shade is great, but trees make a mess of the car.

+1

Car Cover
smile.gif

I had a older body work guy tell me once...if you find an old car under a pine tree chances are it will be in good shape.On the other hand if the car was parked under an oak tree chances are the metal work will be "eaten up".He theorized that the acidic nature of oak and oak leaves advanced corrosion more than the pitch of the pines.

Originally Posted By: Donald
A 20" Husqvarna 455 Rancher chain saw is the answer.

LOL ! I did some more cleaning bottem of the door hinges too, pull alot dirt and those little thing from the pine tree, using high pressure water to blow all those thing off. im glad it not eat thru the metal and give rust. im also using degrease ( dirtyjob brand ) and toothbrush, now she look like coming out the dealer
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
I had my Nova parked under a tree and it collected a lot of twigs and such in the lower rear windshield.After years of it getting wet and not drying quick,yup,rusted holes in the metal.

ouch, i hate rust the most. and that is why im have to get everything off .

The pine trees here in So California have needles, not leaves.
It's easy to remove the sap with rubbing alcohol (70% Isopropanol).
The needles are a pain to pick up, with anything other than a rotary lawn mower.

+1 on the car cover.

Never park under trees. They are just big weeds cut it down, erect a garage, and park the vehicle inside.

Originally Posted By: rcy

LOL. Nice.

If you do find sap on the paint, a clay bar works wonders.

Not if it has sat in the sun long enough - it etches the paint and wont come off. I have a spot on one of my cars that is >7 years old, nothing would take it out...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: rcy

LOL. Nice.

If you do find sap on the paint, a clay bar works wonders.

Not if it has sat in the sun long enough - it etches the paint and wont come off. I have a spot on one of my cars that is >7 years old, nothing would take it out...

3M concentrated glass cleaner. I had to use it at a 1:1 mixture, but it took off sap that clay bars, isopropyl alcohol, or bug/tag removers wouldn't touch.

Got that tip from the Meguiars forum.

I love me some pine trees, no doubt about that, but pine needles and sap aren't the only threat they pose. We have several tall, mature, 50 yr old pine trees around the parking lots where I work, and perhaps every other year we'll see a windshield or rear window broken, a recurring episode of "When pine trees attack!" The mature pine cones (the opened, lightweight, brown kind) are fairly harmless, but when the immature cones (closed, dense, green-colored and heavy) fall from five stories up, they can actually "spiderweb" a dinner plate-sized portion of a windshield.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back