Just used Greased Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi, i just recently addeded greased lightning to my truck during my oil change. greased lightning contains the same chemical thing as slick-50 (ptfe or something like that) which everyone always bad mouths.
My truck is a 1991 Chevy C2500 p/u with 5.7liter engine. it has about 127,000 miles on it and is kinda dirty.
Why is Slick-50 so bad or is it the chemical thingy in it? Is it bad under any circumstances? or is it more urban legend thing? So is greased lightning bad as well? cause so far I am noticing a smoother run than usual. and I am not noticing anything bad. please inform me

well dang. is there anything I can do to clean this out a bit on my next oil change? short of ordering auto-rx i mean. are there any good additives that are sold in stores (mainly pep boys or kragen)? or should i just stay away from things that have ptfe in them? i remember reading some posts about rislone or something like that, but couldn't really get a feel for whether it was good or not.

I wonder if your oil filter hasn't already captured most of the Teflon. Anybody know the particle size of Teflon used in these snake oils?

I would stay away from any and all additives. Most if not all oil companies are already putting a slew of additives into their oils which work well together. Now you slap in a quart of your favorite snake oil like Slick 50 or Prolong or Z-Max or even Rislone (Heck I put that stuff in my 150,000 mile car to help with oil burning in the 70's)
wink.gif
All those additives will do is degrade or upset the balance of the additives of the oil that is in your car. So you are not doing your car any favors. It's all in your mind, kinda like taking a Placebo that a doctor gives you and you feel instantly better.

Best thing you can do is use a quality motor oil and filter and change your oil regularly and save your money on those additves that really don't do a thing and in some cases even will hurt your engine under certain conditions.

thank you for all your help everyone. i currently put castrol high mileage 10w30 and use fram X2 filter. one more quick question. when i bought the oil, they asked me my mileage, i said 127k. then asked me what my recommened oil weight was according to chevy. i said 10w30. they recommened me move up to 10w40 as it is thicker and higher mileage engines may need thicker oil. i didn't buy the 10w40 only because i was a skeptical. was i right in thinking like that? or do they have a valid point?

quote:

Originally posted by motorbret:
thank you for all your help everyone. i currently put castrol high mileage 10w30 and use fram X2 filter. one more quick question. when i bought the oil, they asked me my mileage, i said 127k. then asked me what my recommened oil weight was according to chevy. i said 10w30. they recommened me move up to 10w40 as it is thicker and higher mileage engines may need thicker oil. i didn't buy the 10w40 only because i was a skeptical. was i right in thinking like that? or do they have a valid point?

The whole point of the high mileage oils is that they are thicker than other oils of the same viscosity, so the 10w30 you chose is just fine, since it's a very thick 30wt anyways, so you're already stepping up to a thicker oil. If consumption is still high, only then should you try their 10w40 version, otherwise you made the right choice. There is no need going even thicker than you need to.

Greased Lighting was made up of chemistry (long chain chlorinated paraffins) that has a nasty way of degrading and starting corrosion of your oil lubricated parts. If they now use PTFE that is a change in base chemistry understandable after FTC brought a class action suit against Duralube, another chlorinated paraffin chemistry for causing corrosion on customers engine parts. PTFE particulates swell in oil and, hopefully, fall into bottom of oil pan (they don't coat any oil lubricated metal). Thereby all you lost is your money. Seems performance is what you're looking for. Clean your engine good with Auto-Rx and buy some of Bob's Moly 10-30-wt oil and post your results.

Just change your oil now (to Chevron Supreme 10W-30, for example) and filter for a 2-3K mile OCI. (flushing). Use Auto-Rx (yeah I know $25) - because the engine may need it, (cleaning) not because of the GL snakeoil.

If the engine is in otherwise good mechanical (pay the $19 for an analysis) and seal shape, change to a good synthetic oil such as Amsoil 10W-30 or 10W-40 and it will last longer than with some nasty additive.

Lesson learned.

[ May 09, 2003, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: Pablo ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back