Inexpensive but accurate torque wrench?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a inexpensive torque wrench for general auto repair. 3/8". I have heard Harbor Freights is not good and very inaccurate. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Rocko1
I need a inexpensive torque wrench for general auto repair. 3/8". I have heard Harbor Freights is not good and very inaccurate. Thanks.

Where have you heard that?

While they're not the nicest torque wrench, there are some examples posted on another forum of them being quite accurate.

As another member mentioned, you need to determine what range the wrench needs to be. Most torque wrenches are only rated accurate from 20% - 100% full scale. So, a 100 ft lbs torque wrench would only be accurate from 20-100 ft lbs.

A few brands to check out include Armstrong, GearWrench, Precision Instruments and CDI. There are other brands, but those are a few off the top of my head.

Some people recommend beam torque wrenches. While they're cheap, they're kind of a PITA to use. I own some, and almost never use them. If properly stored and not abused, clicker torque wrenches can be accurate for a long time.

Last edited:
I need from about 2ft lbs to 50 or so. Reading the reviews seems many claim the HF inaccurate.

I wouldn't buy a beam type if you plan to use it much.

Can you swing a Craftsman clicker? I'd imaging it's 80 vs the HF probably being 20, but I'd have 4 times the confidence especially five or ten years down the road.

I don't like the beam type torque wrenches because the handles are too flemsy. I torque down lug nuts and I can put 15 ft/lbs on it and it's just the handle flexing before the nut actually spins. I don't know why everyone says their so accurate.

I know Craftsman would be better, just didn't want to spend more than $40 or so if I could get away with it.

Generally you'll get what you pay for and $40 isn't much for a torque wrench. I've heard good things about Mountain brand as an inexpensive torque wrench. You can find them on Amazon.

I need a inexpensive torque wrench for general auto repair. 3/8". I have heard Harbor Freights is not good and very inaccurate.

That is not what I have heard, nor is it my experience. I have a HF 1/2" drive torque wrench that as near as I can tell is every bit as accurate as a 1/2" drive CDI torque wrench I borrowed from work (at their rated ranges). Yet the HF one costs about 1/10th as the other. Other folks have reported the same, such as here or here. I'll gladly use the HF wrench for torquing wheel bolts or any other application where accuracy isn't critical. My 3/8" drive Craftsman still tests out reasonably accurate and it gets the most use. For anything requiring precision, I have a beam-type torque wrench.

The CDI one is much more expensive but exquisitely finished and almost certainly made out of far better materials in the United States. Last I checked, all of Craftsman torque wrenches are still made in the USA (but for how long?) however they do not appear to be any more accurate than the HF ones.

With a clicker version, technique and resetting to 0 is very important... brand doesn't seem to correlate as strongly. If supreme accuracy on a budget is what you're after, get a beam type.

I get to use a three-piece Snap-On torque wrench at work for the big stuff... its range is 200 to 800 ft-lbs and nicknamed "Excalibur" due to its extreme length once assembled.

I know Craftsman would be better

How do you know that, and "better" in what way?

IME, better fit & finish... yes. Better accuracy, repeatability or longevity... no.

Originally Posted By: scurvy
Last I checked, all of Craftsman torque wrenches are still made in the USA (but for how long?)

The clicker types were recently replaced with Chinese wrenches. I think they still have USA made beam types.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I don't like the beam type torque wrenches because the handles are too flemsy. I torque down lug nuts and I can put 15 ft/lbs on it and it's just the handle flexing before the nut actually spins. I don't know why everyone says their so accurate.

I'm confused about what you're saying. The beam is supposed to flex. That's how they work.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input. I may try out a HF. I see a coupon for $10 for 3/8.

[/quote]

I'm confused about what you're saying. The beam is supposed to flex. That's how they work. [/quote]

I think he means the bar that connects the handle to the head not the pointer bar. But yeah that would be classic.

I like the Craftsman beam ones. I've had a 1/2" for years. I plan to pick up the 3/8" soon (because I have little faith in my $10 HF one).

Buy one and calibrate it yourself using household exercise weights or a fishing scale or a bathroom scale.

The price you pay for the wrench has very little to do with its accuracy. You can never have faith in your torque wrench unless you can do the verification. And there are many ways of doing the verification. If you are not willing to do that, then send it in to get it calibrated for $$$.

For 2 ftlb, you want the 1/4 inch and for 50ft-lb you want 3/8 inch, for 100+ ftlb, you want 1/2 inch.

At least on this forum, I have not come across anybody who has found HF torque wrench as inaccurate. But HF has tendency to change their supplier so watch out. If it is made in Taiwan, it will most likely be good. If it is made in China, all the bets are off.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
At least on this forum, I have not come across anybody who has found HF torque wrench as inaccurate. But HF has tendency to change their supplier so watch out. If it is made in Taiwan, it will most likely be good. If it is made in China, all the bets are off.

I agree.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stephen9666
The clicker types were recently replaced with Chinese wrenches. I think they still have USA made beam types.

That's a real shame but pretty much seals the deal for me. No more Craftsman hand tools, I'll buy SK or Proto from now on.

I bought a 1/2" 20-250 ft. lbs. Husky from Home Depot a little over a year ago while replacing a wheel hub bearing.

Not long ago I had to replace another 1 on my Jeep. It was just under $100 and had pretty good reviews at the time. I only use it now when torqueing my lugnuts when doing a tire rotation, but I have it if I need it again. If I was a professional mechanic and used it daily I would probably get a Snap On, but this 1 works fine for me as I don't use it much.

Which ever you buy, when you put it back and it is not in use turn the torque setting down to the lowest setting. I have read if you don't it is hard on the spring inside and will mess up the calibration.

Just go into a HF store and mate two of their wrenches together both set to the same setting. See how close to the same torque they click. You can use an 8 pt socket or many other gizmos for the mating; some of which you can find in the store probably. Or just take a bolt with a 3/4" head and run some same size nuts down the back and use two sockets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back