More need for Auto-RX than ever before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there is more need for Auto-RX than ever before. I am starting to hear that there are additional makes of vehicles that may be sludge monsters. Allegedly the Dodge Durango can have problems. There have already been stories about certain Toyota vehicles and Saturns that allegedly have sludge problems.

If there is any truth to these stories than there is a serious sludge build-up problem with many vehicles. According to information that I came across on the internet, even synthetic motor oils were turning into sludge in some of these engines. Synthetic oil was not a savior.

Why there are so many problems is a big question. Maybe the manufacturers are running the engines so hot (to save fuel) that the oils break down and form sludge.

But I do think there is more need for Auto-RX than ever before. It would not hurt for everybody who owns a new vehicle to run a maintenance dose of Auto-RX each oil change.

I think that pao oils cook up just as good as petro oils they just take longer .I wonder if a high temp additives package has to be developed for this newer problem cropping up or the designers of the new engines don't know what they are doing?

I seen a bunch of sludged up engines.
The main 3 causes(other than mechanical) were the owner, the owner, and the owner. This even includes some of the sludge monsters out there that are getting a bad rap.

The 1st cause is usually running out of oil. When asking these people how to pop their hoods, they just look at you and fumble because they never have and usually can't locate or even use a dipstick. If you run a car several quarts low, the oil temp is higher and it will cook.

The 2nd cause is the infrequent maintenance program that most people practice. I can't believe that we spend $20k-$50k on new cars and NEVER EVER or rarely change the oil. Without analysis, noone should practice extended maintenance. Vehicle abuse and driver characteristics sludge engines fast.

The 3rd cause is the hideously frequent short trips. I know way too many people whose engines never warm up and wonder why the oil gelled up after 7k-10k miles of use without maintenance while low on oil.

I also blame the automakers for pushing relatively long maintenance intervals. I don't know anyone who doesn't need a premium maintenance. Everyone around here spends hours in the drivethru, spends hours in traffic, makes enough short trips to the store, packy, school, soccerfield, deals with crazy weather..... and drives like mad which REQUIRES more detailed maintenance.

One automaker shocked me by stating "we lower the cost of ownership(maintenance) to make up for the cost of the vehicle."
This accountant type attitude should be stopped especially when considering the small print in the warranty, the dealers high denial of warranty repair, and the extremely high cost of repairs.

We are long overdue for maintenance schedule that uses TIME or FUEL BURNED instead of something silly like mileage, for chosing the correct interval.

Oil coolers with optional thermostat should also be used.

I also have can't stand other neglected fluids intervals. Antifreeze, PS, ATF, and brake fluids aren't eternal fluids and break down a lot quicker than most people think or care to know.

unDummy,

Add to that small sump capacities to lower drag and cost of oil fill, in addition to the excellent points you make, and you have a sludge machine in the making.

I know that the Toyota Tercel I used to own held only three quarts of oil. The vehicles I had owned in the past held five quarts of oil. I often used Mobil 1 synthetic oil for my Tercel because three quarts of oil made me nervous.

Are extended oil changes (using an oil like Schaeffer's) still possible in these new vehicles that may be prone to sludge formation? And would Auto-RX in the oil help? Or is it better to limit oil changes to 3000 miles?

Some people view a car and a washing machine as something they need but will never understand...

A number of individuals drove their overloaded Ford Explorers equipped with marginal tires grossly underinflated, then looked totally shocked and dismayed (and for the nearest PI lawyer)when they had a problem:
crushedcar.gif

THE RESULT?

Why, new Federal regulations for tire pressure sensing systems for ALL CARS!

If they make the cars so expensive to buy, so complex to repair & maintain, so expensive to insure that it becomes unattainable for the consumer, Al Gore and his buddies will have finally "saved the world" from the evil of the internal (infernal?) combustion engine? How do you like the prospect of an OBD system that can just issue you a ticket because it has determined you were speeding back there?
offtopic.gif

Think there will be a Board for discussion of the greases used to lubricate the wheels of all those hydrogen-powered busses?
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back