Best internal engine cleaners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Besides Auto-RX,what is a good engine cleaner to use before changing the oil?Its a 97F150,4.2V6,87k miles and I use Chevron Supreme 10W30 and Motorcraft filters.How long should I run it before I change the oil?Is SeaFoam a good product?
itschy.gif

Auto-Rx, Neutra, and Lube Control are all effective. IMO, well worth the little extra effort to obtain one of them- or you could do like me, & get *all* of them.
grin.gif

How about more commonly available engine cleaners like Rislone or CD-2? Do they work?

I used Rislone once for a ticking valve. It took care of the tick, but it came back when I changed the oil, removing the Rislone.

It would be nice to have some kind of shoot out test between the whole group of them. Just not sure quite how to go about it.

After testing CD-2 and Rislone (see Virgin Oil Analysis section), I see no technical advantage or reason for using them. You can get more cleaning additives by using a good OTC SL oil, which means those two products are NOT cost effective.

I will be trying Auto-RX as soon as it arives. I have a 1997 Buick Lasaber with 108,000 miles on it that has been neglected the last too year. Buy neglected I mean that my uncle was takeing it to quick lube places and letting the GM oil change indicator decide when it needed to be changed. Brior to that it was given a good life of M1 5W30 and 10W30. The trany also needs to be done. I just changed the fluid and filter in it and I think I was the first one to service it. I will report back to the group what I find!

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
After testing CD-2 and Rislone (see Virgin Oil Analysis section), I see no technical advantage or reason for using them. You can get more cleaning additives by using a good OTC SL oil, which means those two products are NOT cost effective.

Thanks - appreicate your insite!

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:

Why don't you test autorx the same way and draw the same conclusion?

[ May 06, 2003, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: unDummy ]

Schaeffer's Neutra #131 is also a good, safe, effective internal engine cleaner.

Be very wary of any of the 10 minute or 15 minute engine cleaning solvents, including Seafoam. Sometimes they do some good and no harm. The risk is that they'll loosen some sludge, not completely dissolve it, and later that lump of sludge will clog the oil intake or some other vital oil passage.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back