Thinking about getting some Speedplay Zero pedals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been riding with toe clips, straps and cleats for 35 years. I got some modern shoes and am looking for pedals and decided to get SP Zero Moly pedals.

Good choice? Other suggestions?

I'm sure going to miss my Suntour Superbe pedals with alloy Cinelli toe clips and Alfredo Binda extra straps.

I have the zero and the frog. Love the motion to be more natural/healthy for the knees.

lots of people love them; me, I always thought the cleat was too complicated. I've been using some shimano's for quite a while and like them.

They're not bad--a million times better than the old X1's, IMO.

The nice thing is that the float is adjustable. My opinion, and one that is generally shared by other people working with athletes for a living, is that float is overrated at best and counter-productive at worst. It makes it easier to set up the pedal, but the fact is if you're moving around a lot while pedaling you have other issues which need to be addressed. You feet shouldn't be moving all over the place while you're pedaling.

I've been using a Look-based system for a long time (Shimano's Dura Ace) and have been really happy with them. The pedals and cleats both seem to be really durable. I get about 5K miles out of a set of cleat and my current DA pedals have over 20K miles on them. OTOH, I've never had a set of Speedplay bearings last more than one season.

Got them and the only thing I don't like is the stack height of the cleat. Would be somewhat lower if my shoes had 4 hole mounting. Other than that I like them a lot.

They are pretty easy to set up and have lots of adjustment range in any direction. There are multiple spindle lengths available as well as canting shims, and flat shims for compensating different leg lengths.

I have about the longest (stainless steel) spindles available on my X1s, due to my feet/shoes angling back soooo much that they hit the chainstays on each pedal stroke with shorter, or stock length spindles (darned size 13/47 feet!
frown.gif
).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back