Injection cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not looking for a brand recommendation, but more opinions as to what is best for a procedure.

Is it best to use a fuel injection cleaner, (that goes in the gas) for one long trip that uses up all the gas i.e. a long road trip, or is it best to put the cleaner in and use the tank of gas up in short trips around town???

That is what I have been contemplating. I think I may try Techron concentrate since I hear a lot of positive feedback about it. Due to fears about certain fuel additives being harmful to seals, I plan on using the additive then driving about 230 miles. This way, the cleaner gets used up for the most part and does not sit in the tank for too long. I also thought about adding the fuel additive and disconnecting the ignition wire to the coil and crank the motor a few times to allow some fuel to spray into the cylinders and soak a little. Still thinking about it.....

Trouthead, an old mechanic told me (he is 83 years old and still working as a mechanic) that you can keep injectors clean by using high octane gas every fifth or sixth fill-up. He claimed that higher octane gas has more injector cleaner. I didn't know if this was true or not, but then I heard that some manufactuers of gasoline apparently do put more cleaner in high octane gas. So just using high octane gas occasionally may help to keep injectors clean. But if the injectors are really dirty, then I think you need to use a fuel system cleaner. And I don't think it would hurt to osscationally use a fuel injector cleaner.

I think it's best to use on a long trip, and here's why. For one, if you do a lot of cold starts, you'll get a bit more fuel into the oil, so some of that injector cleaner will get in there too. On longer trips you won't get as much fuel into the oil.

Also, and I have no proof of this, but I've always felt that these cleaners do most of their work only when the engine's hot.

Pat Goss, of Motorweek, recommends BG-44K. He also states for best results, use it in a car which has a lot of stop and go driving, as opposed to a long trip. Says the chemicals get more chance to work on the sludge/carbon/varnish in stop and go.

i learned this past weekend on the auto show we have from a friend who said the add 1 qt diesel fuel in the gas tank it will clean the injectors better then anything

quote:

Originally posted by boxcartommie22:
i learned this past weekend on the auto show we have from a friend who said the add 1 qt diesel fuel in the gas tank it will clean the injectors better then anything

Hmmm, but that would lower the overall octane rating of gas in the car. I know it's just one quart but I'd be very reluctant.

quote:

I'll try and keep an open mind to learning new things but this one is going to take some confirmation by a few people before I can swallow this.
spaz.gif

quote:

I got a tank of gas one time that pinged like crazy...found out later that the tank truck had some residue of diesel fuel in it.

There is no reason why diesel fuel will clean your fuel system. I've scraped clean lots of badly carboned diesel heads, piston crowns, and injectors. Additives like Schaeffer Diesel Treat 2000 and Neutra sell big-time mainly to clean diesel fuel systems and combustion chambers.

Buy a bottle or two of Schaeffer's Neutra, Chevron Techron concentrate, Amsoil P.I., Seafoam, BG44K, Berryman B-12, or Primrose Injector Perfector. Give up on the home brew stuff.

Mystic,
In times past hi-test gas did have a higher detergent package. I think they're all alike these days due to EPA requirements...clean systems pollute less.

Ken

[ May 01, 2003, 11:27 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

I do know from experience that Berryman B-12 works great. And it does not cost all that much. I think it cost about 3 bucks. It is a lot less expensive than BG44K. Hopefully it is safe. After I put it in I put as many highway miles on as I could, so that it would clean but not be in the car too long. But I have used Neutra and it is really good, and maybe safer?

If you look at Chevron's webpage you will see that they DO put Techron in all their gasoline, but a heavier dosis in the Premium.
It is better to leave it in for longer time. I recommend to customers (and put it in my vehicles)that they use it when they are driving short distances so it stays in the tank and lines longer. I put it in my wife's BMW a week before we go away for 2wks so it sits there. My 2002 Toyota pickup was sluggish at 6000 km, so I made sure I used it the week before going on my 4000 km treck. Made a huge difference.
Stay away from the home brews. The mechanics here typically recommend anything from a quart of 50wt motor oil, diesel oil, laundry detergent, water, or sugar cane alcohol. That doesn't mean they will work.

I used to use some injector cleaner every few months. Always used what ever was on sale till a mechanic friend of mine told me to use Techron and it would do a better job. Thus leading to less frequent cleanings. He was right.

Then 8 years ago I switched to using Chevron gasoline exclusively. Have not needed to clean the injectors since. I only use the 87 octane stuff.

I've always had good luck with Chevron Techron concentrate. I'm currently using Fuel Power in every tankful of gas. It seems to be working pretty good and its reasonably priced.

Wayne

One bottle used at every oil change seems to work for me. Never had a clogged injectors, poor performance, bad emissions, or driveability issues. I rotate around the major name brands and avoid the cheap $1-$2 stuff.

My vote is for using it quickly(long trip after poured in). Never know how quickly the stuff evaporates.

Diesel fuel is too dirty for my injectors. If anything, use kerosene or B100. Only homebrew if you can afford a new engine/FI's/fuelpump.....and won't complain about it!

I've managed to find a place close to where I live that sells BG44K and Amsoil PI. I got a can of BG44K for $15 and added it to a tank of gas. It's seems to be doing something since idle vibration in the steering wheel is reduced and cars appears to run slightly smoother. I've noticed this with Redline SL when I used it. I've only driven about 70 miles since I added it. Power seems to be the same. Hopefully the car will continue to show improvement after I use up the fuel.

quote:

Originally posted by HondaRD:
I've managed to find a place close to where I live that sells BG44K and Amsoil PI.

In El Paso TX they do emmissions Testing. I have one account that sells Amsoil PI, to help clean up intake deposits. The stuff works really well, as they just ordered 20 cases the other day.

Also if you can do the Power Foam Intake cleaing along with PI in the tank, you will see fantastic results.

Lastly, Amsoil recommends using PI for at least 1000 miles for best results. I usually recommend 2 bottles. Use the recommended cleanup of 6 oz per 10 gallons, then 1-2 oz per 10 gallons there after till both bottles are gone.

AS they say Trust Me
lol.gif

OK I'm kinda weird - but I do use PI in the single cylinder engines around the house...the fleet seems to grow all the time. I mean I really overdose some of these engines to the point of smelling the PI in the exhaust - but wholly molly the power output is BETTER. Honda OHC cam engines seem to really respond as does the Kohler. I even put some in the 2-stroke gas with the oil mix.

Now as for my cars - I add PI and really notice ZERO change - until I did the following:

a) dosed the 245Ti strong with PI (no change)
b) dosed the 245Ti strong with Techron (no change)
c) started buying Chevron premium gasoline (usually use 76 or Costco noname) - 4 or 5 tanks later wholly moley - car goes like an ape on crack steroids. Goes full boost, no pingy wingy...YOU make the call....

[ May 06, 2003, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: Pablo ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back