Auto-RX in tranny

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtd

Will there be any benefit of using Auto-RX in your tranny if you only do a pan drop and refill instead of a flush?

I'm not a fan of flushing transmissions and since I drain and refill my tranny fluid every 6,000 miles, my fluid never gets dirty.

Would Auto-RX even do anything since I change my fluid so often? Thanks.

Wayne

As long as you haven't baked the transmission fluid, there is NO need for any additives in that transmission.

You maintenance pattern will keep the transmission very clean without additives.

Chemistry that is Auto-Rx is added in some air compressors with water what would you call that?
Additives change base oil stock. Auto-Rx has no effect on base oil stock only dirt,third party abrasives,contamianats, on the metal the engine oil lubricates. Transmissions are sealed units base oil stock is ISO 68 Hydraulic Fluid and
some additive package. Clutches gather dirt etc and seals start to swell with contaminants and the torqe converter gets filthy. No matter how many times you change transmission fluid you don't get torque converter clean just top end of unit.

Guys,
Thanks for the replies. I guess to get the full benefit of using Auto-RX in my tranny, I will have to do the flush thing. Most of the shops around here that do flushes, do not change the filter so I would have to drop the pan and do this after the flush.

I may just stick with Auto-RX in the engine and Lube Control in the tranny.

Wayne

Norm,
This is on a 98 chevy ext-cab Z71 with the 4L60E tranny and it has 50,700 miles on it. I bought this truck new.

I changed the fluid and filter in this truck at 21,000 miles for the first time and this is when I added a factory pan w/drain plug from a later model truck. This is also when I started draining and refilling the tranny fluid every other oil change. I don't drop the pan when I do this, I just take out the drain plug and let it drain.

I started doing this because I was towing quite a bit at the time and didn't want to overtax the fluid. I'm a little leery about the 4L60E trans because I bought a new 93 S-10 4x4 that had this trans in it, and even though I changed the fluid and filter every 15,000 miles on it, the tranny had to be replaced at about 36,000 miles. I don't know if it was because of all the towing I did with it, but I don't trust these trans under towing conditions. Even though the truck was out of warrenty, the dealer replaced the trans for free because I had all of the fluid changes done there and had done them more often then required and so they gave me a goodwill warrenty on it.

A drain and refill only gets out about 3 quarts out of the 11 quart capacity and this is why I do it as often as I do. I may be going overboard on changing this often, but if the tranny goes out, it won't be because of the fluid.

Wayne

Wayne: I must have missed the identity (year, make & miles)of the vehicle. Changing fluid by dropping the pan every 6K miles ought to keep the fluid fresh, that's for sure! If a single Auto-Rx treatment (what is basically the standard recommendation) actually cleaned out any accumulated gunk I would think it was a very little money very well spent.

Geez, even on the SVX board they are few who are that committed to ATF fluid replenishment, and SOME SVX's are supposed to be very hard on the AT.

I have (had) the conventional filter/fluid change done every 20K thinking I was being pretty conscientious! (That's a word I quite often misspell!)
offtopic.gif

cheers.gif

Sounds like you have a very good Dealer-customer relationship goin' there!

The 4L60E must be the one they put behind the V6 and (maybe?) the smallest of the V8's, or is it used throughout the line up? I know there was a HD version for the 3/4 ton & up models.
confused.gif

How big a load are you towing?
cheers.gif

Norm,
The 4L60E first came out in 93 and was the first year this trans was electronically controlled, hence the "E" designation. It was used in various cars and trucks with the V-6 and small V-8's. The 4L80E is the stronger trans used in the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.

I was only hauling a 5'x10' utility trailer loaded down with plumbing pipe, equipment, and tools but I live in a pretty hilly area which was kind of hard on the truck at times.

Wayne

The 4l60E is the next evolution of the old 700R4. The 4l60E is used in everything from 4 cylinder S-10 up to the Hummer H2. It is used in corvettes,Caprices,Trucks...... It is the most popular Longitudnal traqnsmission GM has. The 4l80E is much stronger but has more problems since it is manufactured in smaller numbers. Just some trivia for ya's; The most durable transimission in GM's line up is the 4t40E wich is the transmission used in the Cavalir! If serviced properly and not beat beyound mechanical limitations it is almost bullet proof in it's aplication. Many of these poor little trany's last 200,000 miles with out ever haveing their fluid or filter changed! If the filter and fluids are serviced properly the transmission will out last the car and the engine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back