Interesting reading on additives!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's an article that'll sum up all the snake oils!
http://www.vtr.org/maintain/oil-additives.html

crushedcar.gif

I have to admit I tried a few oil supplements myself, like Tufoil and Lubegard. But there is at least one oil additive that I believe in, and that is Auto-RX. I will always use 3 oz. every oil change. I also think that a good fuel system cleaner, like Neutra, is needed from time to time. Otherwise, I think a person can go either of two ways (for most vehicles). Either find the best conventional motor oil you can find and change it every 3000 miles, and use the best oil filters you can, or find a very good motor oil and go to extended oil changes, with extremely good quality oil filters. Either way will probably allow you to go a long ways with a car or truck or van or SUV. Other than Auto-RX, you can forget about all of the 'snake oils.'

The article posted is strickly about Friction Reducers, Oil Viscosity Boosters, and it is a very old article(1992 ) PTFE Additives like Slick 50 have seen there day.This article is of interest to peope who still believe people are using "teflon additives" Sponsors on this board don't endorse or sell or post this kind of product.The FTC has settled the "Snake Oil Question from the early 1990's as it is doing now with other products in 2003, which make baseless claims.

quote:

Originally posted by Frank:
... This article is of interest to people who still believe people are using "teflon additives" ...

Actually, a friend of mine still swears by Slick 50. I have a few bottles left over from when I used it (years ago; honest!) & I just used one as barter for bike parts from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back