Turn the AC off before you shut the car off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My GMQ has auto headlamps and climate control options, they both turn themselves on and off so i never really think about it. My old truck has no such options so i turn everything off before shutting the engine off.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
^^^Hahaha, I don't think it has EVER been off in my car!

Where you are ? Thats for sure!
grin.gif

My father always shut down everything, sometimes even the engine, prior to coasting into the driveway. On our older vehicles, he'd usually turn on max heat about a block or so away as well.

I just turn everything off right before shutting the engine off. That's good enough for me. I might shut down the A/C a bit early, like backing down the driveway, but that's it.

I doubt it makes a bit of difference. Cars everywhere around here would be problematic if it were.

Originally Posted By: bigmike
My father always shut down everything, sometimes even the engine, prior to coasting into the driveway. On our older vehicles, he'd usually turn on max heat about a block or so away as well.

That's something you think about doing up here in the winter, not in Florida.
wink.gif

As for the A/C and the like, I'm one of those who shuts everything down before shutting the engine off, too.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
I alway turn everything off before shut the car off.

Ditto.

I make sure it isn't on recirc/max or off before I shut it off (except for the one with cable operated controls, that one gets switched to fresh air after it's off) during the warmer half of the year. More passive ventilation means lower interior temperatures.

I turn the compressor off and switch to outside air about a block from home, but not to prevent the compressor from "dragging the engine down". It's to minimize the moisture on the evaporator core and minimize the musty/mildewy smell.

I have been in the habit of turning everything off before shutting the engine off for a few years now. I don't really like starting up with the fan and radio blasting.

Honestly I never really thought about the issue of mold, but now that I think about it, I've never had funky vent smell. All the more reason to keep turning things off.

One time I was running into a convenience store and just kind of slammed the truck in P with the wheels turned and everything on. I came back out and started it up to see an immediate CEL and I was unable to steer the wheels. Somehow in my careless rush I managed to bind up the steering. I shut it off, turned the key to on and wiggled the wheel a little and that was enough to return everything to normal. It was still a freakout moment though seeing a CEL and being unable to steer the truck.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
On my 60's era GM cars like Impalas and Chevelles the AC clutch was not energized until the key was released, so there was no drag on the start up.

I know, most cars always did bypass most all of the accessory when the key is turned to start. Turning things off seems like a waste of time to me. I'm surprised the worry warts are not worried about wearing out the switch and cycling the compressor clutch off an extra time lol.

I'm sure it's all nice and easy to call people warts while you're chillin' in Ohio, but I'd rather see my interior temperature at 220 degrees fahrenheit than 260 any day. The fresh air door will be open.

Huh? I said worry wart not wart and I don't see how turning the A/C compressor off before shut down is going to help anything. It gets hot in Ohio. It was around 90 this weekend. I use to live in Texas and sometimes without A/C.

I don't use the AC even in the midwest heat and humidity, so I don't have to worry about turning it off or on.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Turning things off seems like a waste of time to me.

You can do that while you are driving.

But my point is it still serves no real purpose IMO, so is a waste. Sometimes my A/C gets turned off and the fan and radio turned down before shut off and sometimes it doesn't, but to me it's a matter of preference and doesn't make any difference.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
I'm sure it's all nice and easy to call people warts while you're chillin' in Ohio, but I'd rather see my interior temperature at 220 degrees fahrenheit than 260 any day. The fresh air door will be open.

I don't care, really...my Caddy will be 75 degrees in three or four minutes either way!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Turning things off seems like a waste of time to me.

You can do that while you are driving.

But my point is it still serves no real purpose IMO, so is a waste.

I'm just not sure what I'm wasting. Pushing the radio button and turning the a/c switch takes less effort than getting out of the truck, which is basically effortless.

Quote:

but to me it's a matter of preference and doesn't make any difference.

That's true. I don't think it's a waste either way unless battery life is shortened or you get a moldy HVAC system.

Anyone consult their owners manual to see if it's a recommended procedure???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back