transmission additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1986 Ford Van with about 120,000 .. It served me well and runs pretty good..transmission downshifting problems , nothing too bad just shiftsa bit hard , anybody have any experience on some additive , that might help ? Just bough a new filter and some fluid I'll b adding once I drop the pan.
thanks for any on hands suggestions Larry B.
dunno.gif
rolleyes.gif

dang, 120k on a 86?? gee my 86 has 110 and i thought nothing else came close =). sorrie i have no input right now, i just had to comment =).

Larry, either the transmission is dirty, or worn, or likely both. You can clean it...if it's worn too badly it needs shop time.

Auto-Rx or Schaeffer's #131 Neutra both do a safe, gentle, complete cleaning job, and Auto-Rx also reconditions the seals and other elastomers. Add 6 oz. of Auto-Rx or 12 oz. of Neutra, drive 1000-1500 miles, then clean the pan, filter, and do a complete flush. Both are available from sponsors of this site--even if they weren't, they'd be the cleaner of choice.

If the transmission still has problems, try a bottle of Lubegard, but start saving for shop work.

Ken

[ April 29, 2003, 12:44 AM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

o what an idiot i am. auto rx helped my downshifting and upshifting problems in my accord. before it was really harsh but now its just like brand new!

Transmissions fail primairly because of contamination causing seals to leak and clutch packs to slip.Chemistry that is now known as
Auto-Rx was formulated to clean seals & stop seal leaks ( buna & silicone ) on the "fly" in industrial machinery. Auto-Rx does the same thing in automatic transmissions while you drive. For more information visit www.auto-rx.net

I agree on the cleaner. after seeing the parts from my Grand Cherokee BMW last year and I belienve there is a good chance that a good cleaner would have corrected the problems without tearing the trans apart.

Never use any solvent based product where this is contact with seals. Solvent Chemistry that is formulated to stop leaks (very short time ) do so by swelling the seal material making it inherently weaker, and a great candidate for ripping or tearing the seal under pressure. Once a seal is ripped or torn you have a mechanical repair job which means down time and parts and labor (even if you do it yourself your time has value to it )if you have any question regarding a products effect on seal material look at method it uses to stop leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back