dino vs synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tig1

You say "synthetic oil is better". For the slight differance in cost between dino and syn and the several advantages a quality synthetic gives over dino, and considering the hudge investment in vehicles these days, why go on the cheap for the life blood of an engine?

I'm not going to re-fight the synthetic vs conventional again, so let me turn this around:

I live in a warm weather climate, I drive a non-turbocharged, non-high performance commuter car, and I'm only looking to put 5,000 miles on it every six months. My car's owner's manual calls for 5w30 and six months/5,000 mile oil changes to maintain my extended warranty.

What API approved, SN rated, ILSAC GF-5 motor oil do you feel is inadequate to the lubrication needs of my engine? Do believe that using an API approved conventional motor oil will harm my car's engine?

I prefer synthetic oil. I feel it has some advantages, especially in extreme hot or cold, and it could provide an extra margin of protection in the event of a cooling system mishap. Under the conditions I drive I don't do extended OCIs. Having said that I've owned a lot of cars since I started driving in the mid 70's, many were run on dino oil w/o issue. Now if I buy a new car it gets a diet of synthetic oil, and when it reaches beater status I switch over to dino oil.

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
Originally Posted By: tig1

You say "synthetic oil is better". For the slight differance in cost between dino and syn and the several advantages a quality synthetic gives over dino, and considering the hudge investment in vehicles these days, why go on the cheap for the life blood of an engine?

Because apart from extreme weather conditions (i.e. over 100 degrees F outside or 0 degrees F outside) or extreme pulling or terrain (mountains, boats and RV hauling), synthetic really has no advantage over dino. Dino is cheaper and often you can find a steal on them. Synthetic works out to be a pretty good deal in the long run, but not everybody keeps their cars for that long.

Anyways, we are getting off topic. Continue the poll!

For a decent engine in proper running condition, synthetic does have an advantage over dino and the cost differance is a non issue when used for a longer OCI.

My vote is 2 engines on synthetic.

Most people would be perfectly fine on dino oil (myself included), however I use synthetic but only buy it when there's a great deal so it's much closer in price to dino.

So many of the reasons are based on oil fill holes, blot tests, butt dinos, and how it feels. So for the most part this is the guy in the diner talk, not much else that can be really looked up.

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
So many of the reasons are based on oil fill holes, blot tests, butt dinos, and how it feels.

Most true!

Dino. I can't make myself go past 6 months/5000 miles on an oil change. I don't think there is any SN certified oil that would not last that long under normal conditions.
synthetic 21 dino 24

Synthetic- because I have money to burn
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: jimmy87
Synthetic not for extended oci's but for better protection!

This cracks me up the "better protection" stuff. Engines today will out last the rest of the friggin vehicle on the quality conventional oils we have now. You really want to be concerned about something on your vehicle? The automatic transmission is where you should place those concerns. Not the engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zerosoma
It's a tie at 24. Both have 24 votes. Anyone wanna be a tie-breaker?

Conventional! Cuz my engines run smoother on it and i don't pass 6k oci's except on the GM with the olm.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: jimmy87
Synthetic not for extended oci's but for better protection!

This cracks me up the "better protection" stuff. Engines today will out last the rest of the friggin vehicle on the quality conventional oils we have now. You really want to be concerned about something on your vehicle? The automatic transmission is where you should place those concerns. Not the engine.

All ready there! Changed my factory fill ATF at 15k and now I'm going to do it every 30k or once a year, full synthetic valvoline Dexron VI, and of course filter and gasket as well.

Conventional in everything I own.

I don't see the need to waste money on a synthetic when every engine that I own will outlast the rest of the vehicle when I use a conventional oil. I don't need to feel warm and fuzzy about oil or engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back