4 Treatments of Auto-Rx too much? Or not enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 1995 Lincoln Town Car got 3,000 mile regular dino oil and filter changes all the way to 100,000 miles.Then I started using 4 quarts 17 oz. Valvoline DuraBlend and 15oz.(Horror of Horrors!!) Slick 50 High mileage engine Treatment!!!!I used Fram Tough Gard(You know the one that drops the pressure A LOT on Bob's filter test), Bosch Premium, and (one of my favorites) the K&N oil filter(used it quite a bit) during the mileage of 100,000 to 119,000.I used 10w30 Durablend(some Castrol blend) (once used rislone instead of Slick 50) changed every 3,000 miles.Those oil changes were really expensive!Durablend/Castrol $2.50 each,Fram and Bosch $6.00, and K&N at $17.00 !! Had to order those online at $12.00 plus shipping.O yeah, and the Slick 50 crap at $17.00 at Wal-Mart!! I thought I was doing something really good for my friend(car) and it was pretty cool (at the time) to have that concoction of Dino,Syn,and Slick 50 all flowing fast with K&N. Did I mention having a K&N air filter this whole time? Those were ignorant but blissful times!
grin.gif

At 119,000 miles I switched to Mobil 1 SuperSyn(just came out at the time)with Mobil 1 filters(changed every 3-4,000 miles).Once I took the filter off and added Marvel Mystery Oil with a fresh Fram Tough Gard and another quart of Mobil1 and ran that for 100 miles.Thought I had noisy lifters.Then I dumped it all and put in 4 Mobil1 and 1 quart Marvel Mystery oil and Mobil1 filter and ran for 3,000 miles (Do you think that was stupid?).Dumped that and put in 4 quarts 5w30 Mobil 1(thought I was going to Okalahoma for while,never did) and 1 quart Rislone and you know the filter. I have been stupid and ignorant(one and the same?)until I found your site!
grin.gif

I am at 133,650 on the digital dash still have that 5w30 stuff in there it's gone 2,500 miles.My car is very well taken care of, recently had the Air suspension rebuilt completely, I have cleaned out the EGR grooves,replaced the computer($500).I have maintained the transmission impeccably.Anyone tried the patented PowerFlush trans flush? They open all the lines , flush it backwards in this special machine ,clean the pan replace the gasket and filter and add LubeGard to your new fluid. There is only one place in Austin that does it.Great place all for transmissions you can watch the video while you wait.Did I get off the subject?
tongue.gif
The car does not use/leak/burn oil much if any between changes. I can count on my fingers the times I have added a quart between changes. And, Finally the question!Is 4 treatments of Auto Rx too much or too little? I will follow the strict oil and filter guidelines.The 20 quarts of chevron Supreme and wix filters are ready and I have 3 bottles of Auto Rx sitting near me right now. Sorry this was so long!
rolleyes.gif

Oh yeah, another question.I am planning a trip to Dallas and back(500 miles)for my first treat of Auto Rx with 5 Quarts Chevron and wix filter.Dump when I get back home.A trip to tulsa(500 miles one way) put in ARX before I go and change when I get there.That would be after dallas and 1500 mile rest period on second treatment without arx.Too strenuous on the motor ?? Thank You Very Much for reading my 3 posts!!Go to the gas additive section to hear about RXP combustion enhancer additive!! Fun stuff ain't it!
gr_stretch.gif

Heck if you bought 'em use em....but 4 treatments does seem like a lot.
blush.gif

I think you couldn't saved a whole bunch a money and time and hassle and wear if you just used Amsoil 10W-30, 7.5-10K mile oil changes and a good stock type oil filter.

Please read private e-mail again. To use your terminology dump first treatment of Auto-Rx after 750 miles. Than drive 2,250 miles without Auto-Rx.
Check the filter and if okay don't change out the filter, just add second bottle of Auto-Rx drive another 750 miles and dump oil and filter. Your engine is CLEAN AND YOU CAN USE ANY OIL YOU LIKE, PLUS YOU WILL GET THE MAXIMUM BENFIT
OF THAT OIL.You outlined your problems in your e-mail to me. So you have a custom application Remember to add 3 ounces of Auto-Rx with every oil change.

Mr TCar, I am not an expert on motor oils. But I have used different brands of motor oils, both conventional and synthetic, and I have used various engine supplements and engine treatments. I think a person will save themselves a lot of money and trouble if you use a good motor oil, either conventional or synthetic, good air and oil filters at a reasonable cost, and Auto-RX or Neutra to keep an engine clean so that the motor oil can do its job. Use a conventional oil if you change the oil every 3000 miles, or a synthetic oil if you are going to use extended oil changes or if you have a car that requires synthetic oil, like the Corvette. This web site is great because people at this web site really care about their cars and trucks, and many have their oil checked out at a lab. This is the only web site I know of where you can find actual information on how different brands of oil have tested. Some of the conventional oil that has tested the best include Castrol and Chevron, and some of the synthetic that has tested the best include Mobil 1, Delvac, Redline, and Amsoil, and Shaeffer's Oil. I personally was shocked to find out that Valvoline did not test that well, according to people at this site. Valvoline was my oil of choice for a long time. Check out how the oils have tested and make your own choice. I personally right now am using Chevron oil (with three oz. of Auto-RX). I am thinking about using Shaeffer's Oil. FRAM oil filters are not rated too highly here, but various people here seem happy with the other brands that are available. Baldwin oil filters tested really well according to some people at this site, and I used Baldwin for a while. But now I am using a NAPA Gold air filter (Wix) because I can't get the Baldwin locally anymore. Aside from Auto-RX and Neutra (I have tried Auto-RX and as far as I am concerned, it works), I really do not believe much anymore in oil supplements and engine treatments. I still get a little excited when something new comes out, but stop to think about it-if somebody really came out with something great, at a reasonable price, it would be in all motor oils in all probability pretty soon. For example, you can find Moly now in many motor oils. Moly was tried in the past, but there were some problems. Chemists had to find the right chemical makeup to make it all work. In a sense, when you buy a motor oil that has Moly in it, you are getting a built-in oil supplement. That SL rated Moly containing oil is probably far superior to the average oil supplement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back