Purolator vs. Wix

Status
Not open for further replies.
they seem to be very comparable from what i have read here wix has always made a good filter they may even be a couple dollars more.I believe purolator makes several different filters all are suppossed to do different things.

Between those two Purolator.

Same "size" filter, same app. Photo worth a thousand words.

Wix on the left, Purolator on the right.

endtoendwixpurone.jpg

Bill

Wix/Napa Gold , just personal preference really. Wix filters do eliminate any cold start ticking on my dodge and jeep so I stick with them.

I think that Wix and Purolator both produce great filters but for oil filters Purolator gets my vote for the simple reason that they list their efficiency and Wix's don't seem to. I'm sure that Wix is still efficient, but I like to know what I'm getting.

I like them both and think that are both solid filters. Bill's pics above show one of the things that occurs with Wix. Because the thread end bypass takes up considerable space, media area tends to be reduced. I don't like the newer Wix/NG apps using nitrile adbv and calling them Napa Gold. But I'm not affected by that, yet.

But as said above, for price and availability it's Purolator P1 and Classic. But, when I can occasionally get 40% off NG at my local Napa store, I'll pick up a couple.

I do like and use the Wix cartridge filter at 40% off, they are well made, and priced right compared to OEM even before the discount.

Wix for me. Easier to source near me, heavier canister just feels much sturdier, and the bypass type in the filters I use is closer to OEM.

As far as the media being larger or smaller, than can be accomodated by using different filter material with different flow properties as well. Size is not everything.

Wix publishes more information on removals in my applications than Purolator, for whatever thats worth.

Originally Posted By: Jordan_FX4
I think that Wix and Purolator both produce great filters but for oil filters Purolator gets my vote for the simple reason that they list their efficiency and Wix's don't seem to. I'm sure that Wix is still efficient, but I like to know what I'm getting.
Wix list comprehensive beta on their site and for particulate MUCH smaller than what purolator advertises. 40um is like gravel for the love of Pete! I agree with Bill that in the small form factors the preferred Wix base-end bypass displaces too much filter area for my liking. On my Honda 1.5L. only the WIX allows the engine run correct. Even the Honda service part (fram) makes the engine sound like a box of parts - i had to remove it after 2 days of intense racket - which all disappeared with the Wix 57356 (NOT 51356). Why can't the dealer sell the proper JDM original part for the love of goodness!

I prefer Wix, but I use either interchangably and have no issues with either. I'm leaning towards using whatever I can find cheaper; they're both fine.

For me its Purolator.

Very cheap with AAP discount codes and easily available. I really don't buy in all the beta ratio of a filter media and splitting hairs.

I would use either in a heartbeat, both are very well made, have had (rarely) start up noise in the Jeep with Puro's and Puro made Motorcrafts, never with a Wix or now Baldwins.

Never any noise in our other vehicles with any of them, even Fram, the Jeep is a bit picky.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
purolator $3.24 everyday price at walmart
smile.gif

+1 same here, I have less start up noise with wix though. I still use puro classics though because they are cheap.

For me, purolator constructed filters all the way, if they make it i trust it

Motorcraft,Bosch,Proline,Purolator itself, etc. If they had a hand in making it i will use it.

Wix is not bad, just have not used them yet, when i can get a purolator for less than napa and still have a good product.

Quote:
I have less start up noise with wix though. I still use puro classics though because they are cheap.

That doesn't make a lot of sense when the difference in filter cost is only 70 cents IMO.

for me its NOT price, its what i see on this site. the difference between Purolator and Wix is small. but its Purolator for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back