Third treatment of Auto-RX looks like it's still doing a lot of cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dumped the third treatment of auto-rx in my oil 400 miles ago and the oil is already really black(it was clean before). I plan to run it another thousand miles before I drain. Should I sample and get the oil in there analyzed at the end of the interval?

--Matt

[ April 13, 2003, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: mkosem ]

It seems it takes a good two or three doses for Auto Rx to really work well, especially with higher mileage engines. My next analysis (0w-40 M1) at 8k miles should tell the story.

this is in 0w40 Mobil1, would it be worthwile to get this oil analyzed when I drain it since it has the RX in it?

--Matt

i don't think so. You would want to sample the next oil.
smile.gif

ok, I don't think I'm running 0w40 next time tho. probably just castrol gtx 10w40.

--Matt

mkosem, I am thinking about doing a third auto-RX treatment in my Saturn. Saturns apparently are sludge monsters to some extent-this car should not have sludge, since I do 3000 mile oil changes and I have even tried Mobil 1 and Amsoil in the car. I think they are running some of these newer cars too hot, trying to increase the fuel mileage. Some Toyotas are supposed to have sludge build-up too, although Toyota denies it. I wish I had known about Auto-RX sooner-I didn't find out about Auto-RX until I discovered this site. Every car I own from now on will get 3 oz. of Auto-RX each oil change. After the first treatment, the oil filter was clearly getting plugged up. After the second treatment it was not so bad.

ya, keep going on it. I've gotten results both times. ya know what they say...third time's a charm...

--Matt

You can still do a UOA on that oil, Auto-rx won't change the viscosity. You will notice more oxidation on the report from the RX cleaning though. We've seen a couple of UOAs on here from oil with a full RX treatment in it.

Patman, the Auto-RX does not cause too much oxidation, does it? I am safe with doing three Auto-RX cleanings and then using three 0z. of Auto-RX every oil change, right?

It's not going to cause a large amount of oxidation unless the engine is totally dirty. And since you are on your third treatment, chances are good that your engine is super clean now, so your oxidation might not even be elevated at all. Once you get to the 3oz treatment phase, then the oxidation rates should remain normal, since the engine won't be super dirty, Auto-rx will be at the phase where it's simply keeping things in check and keeping more sludge and varnish from forming.

I'm a new member and I have a 97 Saturn twin/cam.I have had to replace my engine with 125K .Upon removing the valve cover on the old engine we found the most nasty goo you could describe inside.I bought a low-milage replacement engine and after driving 4500 miles it appears to be using oil too.I have been using Amsoil in an effort to reduce the sludge that apparently is causing the problem.I have purchased a product called B-12 to remove the sludge.I have not tried it yet and wonder if the AutoRX product would be better.Please Advise thanks

Mystic, Patman,

Does Auto-Rx cause oxidation of the oil, or does it remove previously oxidized stuff which then shows in an oil analysis?

M.T.,

I've used Berryman B-12 fuel system cleaner with good results for many years. Their crankcase cleaner is one of the strong solvent type cleaners that I stay away from. Those type of cleaners have the potential of loosening, but not fully dissolving, lumps of gunk, and these lumps then clog oil passages. Schaeffer's Neutra or Auto-Rx clean without causing this problem.

Ken

[ April 14, 2003, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
Mystic, Patman,

Does Auto-Rx cause oxidation of the oil, or does it remove previously oxidized stuff which then shows in an oil analysis?

This is a perfect question for Terry Dyson!

Ken
Thanks for the info on the B-12 .So what your saying is there are two different B-12 products?One for fuel and one for crankcase?The one I bought I got at Walmart for 2.39.I believe it gave instructions for both applications.I heard of using it for a soak procedure but if its not safe I'll go with the RX.

I'm really not so sure how I'd feel about puttin B-12 somewhere where it'd get in the oil of my saturn. They have prety weak seals as it is. I'd hate to have something eating away at them unnecessarily. Why not soak with something like neutra?

--Matt

I've decided to use the AutoRx instead.If its helped other Saturn owners without causing problems I'm willing to give it a shot.Im planning on gving it the three shot treatment.I just wonder if I can go back to Amsoil afterwards.Also what would be a decent filter to use for the AutoRX treatments I hate to use a 10.00 Amsoil filter for 700 miles does anyone know if there is a filter with a larger capacity for a Saturn 1.9 twin/cam?

[ April 16, 2003, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: M.T.Wallet ]

ya, it also helps that auto-rx cleans everything, rather than just the rings.

--Matt

Guys and Gals the oxidation DIFFERENCE you see between oil and oil with Auto-RX added is the cleaning process not the oil oxidizing. Oil does oxidize but will at a lot slower rate if there isn't any dirt or carbon to start the process.

On the edmunds board 2 smart alecs have derided my testing based on their ignorance of this attribute ( and oil analysis in general judging from their statements)in internal combustion engines and Auto-RX usage.

Inert Auto-RX will NOT! NOT! degrade the host oil in any way. Its cleaning dirt and carbon not the oil. That does help the oil do its job, lubricate !

Inhibited Solvent based adds like LC will neutralize oxidation but if used at too high a treat rate can degrade the oil.

Auto-RX won't at all, at any treat we have seen.

B12 is rough stuff with almost 0 lubricity and I won't use it in a crankcase of an engine I like.

Its pretty tough in the gasoline, I prefer the FP for that as it is oily.

Hope that sheds some light as I'm traveling alot and not able to get to a internet connection at all times.

Terry

Terry, what is it that you like instead of Berryman B-12 as a fuel injector cleaner? What is FP? I have had success with Berryman B-12 as a fuel injector cleaner but if there is something safer, I would use it. I love Auto-RX-I know that it works. After my first treatment of Auto-RX on a Saturn SL2 the oil filter was starting to get plugged. This web site is great-I find out about stuff that really works. I have started to use Chevron oil and Wix filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back