Are Purolator Classic's...

Status
Not open for further replies.
...still a good filter?

I use'em based on availability as they are at, at least 4 local stores that I can think of right now(SEARS, W*M, PB's, AAP). Or even their store brand filters such as ProLine from PB's and SEARS also uses a version of Puro's that they call...I can't remember(I think, ProGurad)?

My dad(when he had his gas/service station, '54-'79) used Purolator Oil Filters. They were just called Purolator.

Later they were called Purolator Premium Plus and now, they're called Purolator Classic.

But, are they still considered a good oil filter? Or are they cheapening up their product?... by using lesser quality fultration media, endcaps and being made outside North America?

Im happy with their(what I perceive as) quality and price, especially with rebates. No real issues and when I have(I don't anymore) cut them open, they looked OK!

What I do like best is that when Puro has a rebate program going on, the auto stores that sell'em, have'em on sale too, making them real bargin to own.

Opinions please!

Still a fine filter.

I get a Puro clone from Menards -- Quaker State filters. On sale they are $2. I stocked up like crazy a few times ago, and then realized they run this sale at least twice a year.

So, IMHO, I would use Purolators and their re-branded equivalents without worry.

Yep, I use Puro Classics too, have been using Purolator for years. I have never had any trouble at all from a Purolator filter. I especially like their price when I can buy them on a good oil and filter combo sale at AAP. I see them at Walmart now too but my local Walmart does not have nearly as big a selection as AAP.

They are still a fine filter good for "normal" OEM OCI cycles.

I am not always brand loyal with lubes and filters. I tend to pick the least cost product that performs to my defined standard. Since most products more than meet my "needs", I'm able to choose from a variety of decent brand name products.

Yes, P-Classics are decent and worth of consideration.

Last edited:
good solid construction, and good filtering media. and Purolator makes Mopar filters, Performax, QS, Pennzoil...check ebay for good prices. NAPA proselect are equivalent

Another happy guy using Puralator. Use the classic on my quad and 1997 Camry, P1 on Armada and F-150 (sometimes a MC!).

As many have said.....Purolators are...."the best bang for the buck".

I have used the PureOne for over four years now and the are... IMO perfect for OCI's up to 7500 +/-. I have a couple of Classics in my stash as well....and feel a 6000 OCI is easily doable.... if you have a clean engine.

And another plus for me....they are made in the USA (NC).

I've done 6-7K OCIs with Purolator Classics without issues showing up on the UOAs. On that application, it was with a quality syn, mostly highway miles and no previous issues on UOAs though so YMMV.

It is a solid, if not boring, choice. They're aren't as "sexy" as say a P1 or D+ filter but they do the job.

And add to all that, Classics are now available for $3.27 everyday at Wally with no consolidation of applications to the smallest size, tough to beat for an average dino oci.

All that said, it does make me wonder how long the Classic pricing at Wally can/will last.

Yes, I also wonder how long the Purolators will be at a hard-to-beat price of $3.27 at Walmart. A PYB jug/Classic filter combo can be had for a stupid-cheap price of 19 bucks. And the filter is made with pride in Fayetteville, NC.

I wish they were plastic wrapped. Even the cheap Driveworks oil filters are wrapped.

Good oil filter for a great price at WM. I am planning to do 5k with mostly city driving...

Originally Posted By: ABerns

I get a Puro clone from Menards -- Quaker State filters. On sale they are $2.

Are the QS filters the exact same filter as a Classic.

Originally Posted By: Cooker
Originally Posted By: ABerns

I get a Puro clone from Menards -- Quaker State filters. On sale they are $2.

same construction and materials, but.... some apps are shorter.

(which doesn't make a difference if your motor is clean)

Quote:

Similar construction, same efficiency not likely. Classic is rated at 97.5%, The QS is likely closer to the old AAP Total Grip, which was ~94% efficient. And as mentioned, many QS have now been consolidated to the smallest applicable size. For $2.00 though hard to complain, and I liked and used many of the AAP Total Grip but none were downsized.

The QS would be similar to other Puro 'made fors' like PepBoys ProLine, Advance Auto ProMotive and quick lube Pennzoil and Valvoline oil filters.

Originally Posted By: Hessam
check out the customer reviews tab for purolator classic filter. has some pictures too:

purolator classic reviews

That's the cartridge filter, not a spin-on. Not sure about the quality of their cartridge filters, but the one reviewer with the BMW doesn't paint a pretty picture.

+1
I would steer clear using the classic filter. We are in the process of attempting to clean up a 2000 Lexus ES 300. We cut open the Classic and found the glue had failed on the seam. This was in the middle and fully exposed three holes. We returned our stash and purchased the Pure Ones. We have pics but I have not mastered this yet even after following all the instructions. Flickr This is after only 600 miles of use.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BigBird57
+1
I would steer clear using the classic filter. We are in the process of attempting to clean up a 2000 Lexus ES 300. We cut open the Classic and found the glue had failed on the seam. This was in the middle and fully exposed three holes. We returned our stash and purchased the Pure Ones. We have pics but I have not mastered this yet even after following all the instructions. Flickr This is after only 600 miles of use.

Honestly, it could happen with any brand of filter, every once in a while you get a bad batch.

Quote:
+1

Your linked picture does look as though the seam came unglued at some point. That said, the shown L20252 is NOT the spec'd filter for the 2000 ES300, it's the L10241. While in most cases it might not make a difference in this case the bypass spec of both filters is very different. The spec'd L10241 has a bypass psi of 12-15 psi. Otoh, the pictured L20252 has a spec'd bypass psi of 25-35psi, a significant difference imo. Add to that, the ES300 being a known sludger, the "clean up" is obviously primarily related to that fact than a filter with an open seam for the limited miles listed.

While I've generally use a P1 purchased on promo/rebate/AAP code, I've used Classic and similar made for AAP Total Grip with success. Being able to obtain the Classic now for $3.27 everyday at Wally, that may change for ~5k/6month dino oci's. And unlike the cartridge filter application previously shown which indicates improvement needed, the canister filters which make up the primary portion of Classic sales seem to be well rated from the same source (AAP reviews tab). Puro Classic L10241 L14459 L14612

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back