Auto-RX treatment in a 47 John Deere Model A

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been contemplating treating a 1947 John Deere model A tractor with Auto-RX. I'm certain it has all the oil problems Auto-RX is know to clean. I don't know much about these tractors, except that it takes 11 quarts of oil. The filter is a bit of a different design, but I suppose it works much the same as they do today.

The oil has been in this one for many years and it has been run for maybe an hour total. It runs, but poorly. I replaced the plugs, and one plug was full of oil, the other just carbon. Would it be a good idea to give it an Auto-RX treatment? Any other suggestions from experience? What oil should I use in this tractor?

I'm interested in your comments as the very last model A made had quite a few mile on it by the time I was born.

My dad has a 49 John Deere A that he rebuilt. The engine did have a fair amount of sludge that had collected over the years.
As far as oil, I have heard many opinions from members of his tractor club. Some say only non-detergent 30w in an engine that has not been rebuilt and others use any of the current SL rated oils.
I was amazed at the wear of various engine parts when he rebuilt and it still did not run that bad.

I would think auto rx would help but the problem is it takes time to work. You of course could not drive 500 miles so you would have to run the engine for many hours.
Maybe someone has advice on a cleaner that could work faster then auto rx unless you have lots of work for it to do while running a cleaner.
dunno.gif

Auto-Rx has to be in a running engne for 500 miles
(Dino Oil ) or 9.5 hours at 55 MPH. That said if it took 6 months to reach that goal it would not affect final results. The Auto-Rx benefits would be there. To impliment this type application you would compute by hours of operation the time Auto-Rx was in the oil. Filters change time would have
to be calculated. You would increase MTBF at a cost that would be pennies compared to a machinist
and parts replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back