ZMax & FTC agree...March 20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loks like the email I received from the company a time ago was correct..........

SPEEDWAY MOTORSPORTS ANNOUNCES RESOLUTION OF FTC VS. OIL-CHEM LITIGATION
http://www.zmax.com/handler.cfm?zMAX=news,caseclosed

CONCORD, NC (March 20, 2003) - Oil-Chem Research Corp. (Oil-Chem) and Speedway Motorsports, Inc. (SMI) announced today a resolution to their dispute with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) concerning the advertising of zMAX Power System.

"We at Speedway Motorsports are very pleased that the staff of the Federal Trade Commission has specifically confirmed that Oil-Chem can continue to make the following claims in its advertising and promotion of zMAX," stated Marylaurel E. Wilks, vice president and general counsel of SMI.

zMAX soaks into metal,
zMAX reduces friction,
zMAX increases horsepower,
zMAX dissipates engine heat,
zMAX helps to improve or restore gas mileage and reduce emissions in older cars, by virtue of reducing engine deposits,
zMAX helps to maintain gas mileage and emissions in newer cars, by virtue of reducing engine deposits,
zMAX helps to reduce engine wear on engine valve-stems and guides and piston rings and skirts, by virtue of reducing engine deposits,
zMAX helps to extend engine life, by virtue of reducing engine deposits.

This confirmation is specified in an exchange of letters with the Division of Enforcement of the FTC. Oil-Chem's letter lists the tests and other documents that substantiate the zMAX claims (provided by Oil-Chem to the FTC during the litigation), and the FTC responded that no compliance action would be merited as a result of Oil-Chem making such claims.

Oil-Chem and SMI have not admitted any liability in this litigation. However, in order to avoid the significant expense and time involved in the litigation, the FTC, Oil-Chem and SMI have agreed to end the litigation by the signing of an order, which, in summary, states: (a) Oil-Chem and SMI do not admit any liability and continue to deny any liability; (b) The FTC has issued its compliance letter (which confirms that enforcement is not merited for the eight specified claims); (c) Oil-Chem and SMI will not make advertising claims which are not properly substantiated; and (d) Oil-Chem and SMI will offer a refund of up to $1 million, in the aggregate, to certain purchasers of zMAX, who bought zMAX before January 31, 2001. No refund will be offered to purchasers after that date. For more information visit zmax.com.

zMAX was developed in 1947 by Joe Lencki as Speedway Cocktail. Sold to the racing industry and car dealerships since it development, it has been marketed as zMAX since1989. AVBLEND, the zMAX formula for aviation, is FAA approved for all piston driven aircraft and has been available since 1980. In addition to company efforts to market zMAX through infomercial, zMAX is available at better auto parts stores including Advance Auto Parts, AutoZone, Checker, Kargen, Murray's Auto Parts, O'Reilly Auto Parts, PepBoys, Schuck's, Strauss Discount Auto, VIP as well as Target stores and BJ's Wholesale nationwide. zMAX became a part of Speedway Motorsports Inc in 1987.

Speedway Motorsports is a leading marketer and promoter of motorsports entertainment in the United States. The Company owns and operates the following premiere facilities: Atlanta Motor Speedway, Bristol Motor Speedway, Infineon Raceway, Las Vegas Motor Speedway, Lowe's Motor Speedway and Texas Motor Speedway. The Company provides souvenir merchandising services through its SMI Properties subsidiary, and manufactures and distributes smaller-scale, modified racing cars through its 600 Racing subsidiary. The Company also owns Performance Racing Network which broadcasts syndicated motorsports programming to more than 725 stations nationwide including XM Satellite and NASCAR.com, and Oil-Chem Research Corp., the manufacturer and distributor of zMAX. For more information, visit the Company's website at gospeedway.com.

Why spend 50 bucks on that **** when $1 a quart Chevron produces outstanding results? I won't believe it untill I see a UOA with substantially better numbers, period.

Shoboost,

A win? You jest? The FTC filed it as an "order for permanent injuction and monetary relief."

I agree they got off light but basically, they have to pay $1mil (plus administrative) for refunds and can't advertise any of these things for their product:

[That it:]
a) increases gas mileage
b) increases gas mileage by a minimum of 10%, or by any other percentage, miles-per-gallon, dollar, or other figure
c) reduces engine wear
d) reduces or eliminates engine wear at startup
e) reduces engine corrosion
f) extends engine life
g) reduces emissions

For five years they have to follow a form of business probation:
a) directors (new & current) must sign acceptance of this injunction.
b) must notify FTC 30 days prior to any change of ownership or company dissolution that might result in someone else marketing the product.
etc...

With this kind of win I'd hate to see a loss.
It's a common resolution strategy for this type of complaint. (Check earlier stipulations for PTFE products etc.) Slaps them down a little and protects all but the most charitable.

The filing includes their altered claims which they now tie to reductions in deposits, something $1 of fresh motor oil would also remedy. It also notes that the substantiating test results are sealed. (not available to consumers)
grin.gif
Amazing.

David

quote:

Originally posted by Shoboost:
However,they can say that ZMax reduces friction and Increases horsepower,which are my 2 main concerns!

...Running a 5w-20 oil with reduce you friction and increase your horsepower as well. But does that mean that it will serve a big diesel as well as a 15w-40? ZMax is a waste of money.

I guess if it isn't Auto RX.... it is bogus.
LOL yeah right.

APPROVED TO ADVERTISE
-- zMAX soaks into metal,
-- zMAX reduces friction,
-- zMAX increases horsepower,
-- zMAX dissipates engine heat,
-- zMAX helps to improve or restore gas mileage and reduce emissions in older cars, by virtue of reducing engine deposits,
-- zMAX helps to maintain gas mileage and emissions in newer cars, by virtue of reducing engine deposits,
-- zMAX helps to reduce engine wear on engine valve-stems and guides and piston rings and skirts, by virtue of reducing engine deposits,
-- zMAX helps to extend engine life, by virtue of reducing engine deposits.

[ March 24, 2003, 06:52 PM: Message edited by: tenderloin ]

Tenderloin, those claims were only approved pending further review of the sealed test results. The FTC did not evaluate the claims for accuracy or truthfulness but put them off until later. Seems a little lenient after the Commission findings.

FTC response to OilChem's compliance letter:

"... The information that you have submitted consists of a description of your compliance procedures and your description of certain claims that you intend to make in future advertising. The staff has concluded, on the assumption that such information is accurate and complete, that no compliance action would be merited if the order is entered. We will not be precluded, however, from recommending to the Commission an appropriate action if the submitted information is inaccurate or incomplete or if any defendant violates the terms of the order. Because you have not submitted any advertisements for the staff to review at this time, we reserve the right to request that you submit substantiation under the order for any additional express or implied claims made in future advertising and, if appropriate, to recommend that the Commission initiate an enforcement action based on such claims. ...."

I won't be surprised if this opens up again due to their massaged claims and secretive tests.

Remember, the original complaint:

"...According to the FTC, the CRC L38 test is a standard auto industry tool to measure the bearing corrosion protection properties of motor oils. In February/March 1997, an independent laboratory performed two CRC L38 tests of zMax for Speedway and Oil Chem. In those tests, motor oil treated with zMax produced more than twice as much bearing corrosion as motor oil alone. The complaint also states that the defendants fabricated one "report" from the two test reports, eliminating the bearing corrosion results and all other negative test results, and then used that report and the "official laboratory results" - similarly edited to remove detrimental data results - as sales tools in the infomercial and on the zMax Web site.

The FTC's complaint alleges that the defendants did not possess and rely on reasonable substantiation for the following claims in the infomercial, on the Web site and in brochures that zMax:

increases gas mileage;
increases gas mileage by a minimum of 10%
reduces engine wear;
reduces or eliminates engine wear at startup;
reduces engine corrosion;
extends engine life; and
reduces emissions.
The agency's complaint also alleges that the defendants falsely represent that the results of the CRC L38 test proved that zMax:

increases gas mileage;
reduces engine wear;
extends engine life;
lowers fuel consumption by 8.5%
lowers wear on valve stems by 66%
lowers wear on piston skirts by 60%; and
cuts carbon build-up on valve stems by 66%.
Finally, the FTC charges that in consumer testimonials and endorsements in their advertising, the defendants did not have substantiation for the representation that the endorsers' experiences were, "The actual and current opinions, findings, beliefs, and/or experiences of those consumers; and the typical or ordinary experience of members of the public who use the product."

The FTC is asking the court to bar the defendants from violating the FTC Act, which prohibits deceptive acts and to order consumer redress or require that they give up their ill-gotten gains. ..."

I remember reading on the net a couple years back about a study with Avblend where some aircraft engines tested had horsepower gains of up to 9 percent...has anyone else read this or know who did the testing or what site that info was on?...i can`t remember where i saw the info...

Do you have any Used Oil Analysis to back up your claim? -Joe

LOL Let me check my back pocket. No, but I did get 2 MPG increase. 3.0 Ford Aerostar had over 305,000 using ZMax and Rislone (at different times)before I sold it. Untouched besides air filter plugs, still ran like a champ....did not have to add oil between changes. Used Synergyn and Mobil 1 with Purolator but mostly K&N filters.

What's that old saying about a fool and his money? You might try reading the following again:

"...According to the FTC, the CRC L38 test is a standard auto industry tool to measure the bearing corrosion protection properties of motor oils. In February/March 1997, an independent laboratory performed two CRC L38 tests of zMax for Speedway and Oil Chem. In those tests, motor oil treated with zMax produced more than twice as much bearing corrosion as motor oil alone. The complaint also states that the defendants fabricated one "report" from the two test reports, eliminating the bearing corrosion results and all other negative test results, and then used that report and the "official laboratory results" - similarly edited to remove detrimental data results - as sales tools in the infomercial and on the zMax Web site.

Twice the bearing corrosion, sweet.
crushedcar.gif

I admit that before I wised up on snake oil BS, I used ZMAX. I noticed nothing, nada. I keep very accurate fuel milege records, and they were the same. This was in my piston slapper Grand Am. Maybe the bearings were corroded enough to make even more noise. Last Saturday when I turned the keys over to the dealer I bought it from, he started it to move it onto the lot. He walked back (after I signed the bill of sale stating it was sold as is and after he cut me a check) and was very concerned about the knocking. I said straight to his face, "why do ya think I sold it to you?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back