PYB in a '10 Civic Si

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2.0L engine in this cars revs up to 8K rpm, and the recommended octane is 91. What do you think about using PYB on this car. 90% of the time I drive pretty sedately, but I do most of my driving in the city. I follow the OCI minder on the car, which for me turns out to be 6000 miles. And the manual says nothing about recommending synthetic oil.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
So if PYB meets Honda's requirements, I would use it for the recommend interval and not look back.

+1 - nothing to fear there....

Honda's factory recommended oil is a synthetic blend.

I had an 07 Si and i wouldn't recommend running dino oil in it for 6,000 OCIs. The Maintenance Minder suggests oil change intervals based on the driving conditions.

With today's oil deals, its easy to find synthetic with an awesome oil filter for $30.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Honda's factory recommended oil is a synthetic blend.

I had an 07 Si and i wouldn't recommend running dino oil in it for 6,000 OCIs. The Maintenance Minder suggests oil change intervals based on the driving conditions.

With today's oil deals, its easy to find synthetic with an awesome oil filter for $30.

Yeah CP blends are superior to PYB. So superior for price point to meet GF-4 specs CP decided to use group III base oils from Korea to blend with group II base oils thus the "synthetic blend" label. Good one. Just because it says blend or even synthetic on the bottle does not mean superior or even good as. That being said CP oils are good oils and I have used them in the past but that does not mean that Trop-Artic, Motorcraft, Kendal, or even Honda Blend in this case is superior to PYB. CP just decided to go to a different more cost effective path for CP to meet the same specs as other blenders and stuck the synthetic blend label on their PCMO's.

As stated by many other poster in this forum, Most, if all Dino oils today contain quite a bit of synthetic base oil to meet the API-SN, GF-5 standards.

IMO....if your owners manual states noting about using only synthetic or using only Dino/Conventional oil you'll do just great with PYB, VWB, GTX, QSAD, Peak Conventional, store brand conventional and so on....

IMO...all major conventional oils, from the majors, meet or exceed the API-SN and GF-5 requirements and you can run them safely according to the auto manufactures recommendation and your vehicles computer.

PYB is a great choice!

Plus, you get to save quite a bit of money on the special oil deals.

Last edited:
I have been using PYB in my Echo's VVT engine with OCI of 5500 no problem. 80% highway. I could easily go with an OCI of 6500 but I can't seem to rack up enough miles before 6 months hit.

5 quart jug + purolator filter at walmart for a total of $20.

In SA we have the Civic with both the Euro spec K20Z4 engine 200bhp and the Japanese spec K20A2 engine 225bhp.

When i was in the States about a year ago i noticed that your Si uses the K20Z3 engine as the Z4 and A2 cannot run on the low octane fuels available in the US as the prior mentioned need 95oct as a min and recommended 98oct

Honda's are not fussy with oils and work well with a range of them and you will be ok with anything from a 0w30 to a 5w40. Although the manual explicitly states that you should not run a 0w20 in the "Type R" model , that is all K20 engines.

As long as you stick to the big brands such as Mobil , Shell and Castrol fully synthetics or HC oils then you will enjoy very long service from your engine. Try to find the "Euro" formulations as guys globally (UK,AUS,Asia and SA) generally use these oils.

My K20Z4 in my Civic is tuned and pushing over 240bhp and revs till 9000rpm. I mostly use Castrol SLX Professional 0w30 aka Castrol Edge 0w30 in some countries (i think you guys call it "German Castrol" for some reason) with 7500km OCI's.

I do track days once a month for the last year and a half and my engine is still going strong with over 90 000kms on the clock ;-)

Last edited:
If you look at the voa of Honda's blend, and Motorcraft the oils are pretty much the same except for price.In my manuel nowhere does anyone ever ask for synthetic or even a blend. This is the Civic EX 09. My stealer now asks you if you want regular bulk, a 0-20 blend or full syn.You can have 0-20 in the syn too. Either way they allow you to decide as it has to be. I have used PYB and really you cannot deny this oil. You drive in the most stop and go areas in the country, I would say 5k at the most, but that is just my opinion.Your area of driving is where I say 10k would be a disaster motor wise.I always look where the person lives re oci many live in areas which make it easy to do 10k on syn. You and I not possible!!

When I had my 08 Si, I ran Penzoil Platinum 5W-30 and didn't look back. Changed at the MM and was happy!

I really miss that little car! Lots of fun to drive!

Compared to the oils of not so long ago, PYB (and other quality dinos) seem to be more than suited for the k20 and k24. I've had my CR-V since 2002 and run every oil of every type you can think of. IMHO it's going to be personal preference on this. In my 09 Fit, MM let me take the oil all the way out to 14k or longer. I did that on dino w/o a problem.

Well I thought about it, and I think I'll continue running synthetics. I'm a very low milage driver, but heavily in the city. Also, I bought the car in Aug. 2010, and so far I've done 2 oil changes with M1 (following the computer's recommendations), and I'm coming up on my third pretty soon. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with PYB, but for a few extra bucks a year, why not run synthetic?

^I think with your LA weather you won't have a problem with conventional, quite honestly. Buy whatever your local Costco carries in bulk( the Chevron Supreme or Formula Shell) and never look back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back