Toyota RAV 4 oil confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Newbie here first post. Please excuse any lapses in protocol. When I bought my 2011 RAV4 the sales manager mistakenly told me the V6 came with synthetic, it doesn't. The oil filler cap is labeled 5W-30. Identical(?) Toyota engines of the same displacement in other models use synthetic. What can be the difference? After 1K or so I switched to Toyota synthetic, and now at 26,000 km I use 0W-20. Any comments or information? Thanks.

The 2GR-FE 3.5 V6 spec's 6.4 quarts of 5w30.
0w20 is for the 2AR-FE 2.5L 4Cylinder
Quote taken from the 2011 Rav 4 Owner's manual:
(I have access to Toyota's manual database)
3.5 L V6 (2GR-FE) engine
SAE 5W-30
SAE 5W-30 is the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather.
If SAE 5W-30 is not available, SAE 10W-30 oil may be used. However, it should be replaced with SAE 5W-30 at the next oil change.

You can use Conventional or Synthetic 5w30
Pennzoil seems to be the darling oil of the forum, but All of the name brand API rated oils are excellent.
I personaly use Pennzoil Ultra in my friends RX330, and Quaker State Ultimate Durability Syn in my Wife's 2010 Camry as it is cheaper.

You can use any 0w or 5w you wish. Wont be a big difference between synthetic and dino in your engine. It will run forever on either one. Either Pennzoil Platinum or Yellow bottle (conventional) would be great.

Welcome!

welcome2.gif

Originally Posted By: Percyiris
Toyota engines of the same displacement in other models use synthetic. What can be the difference?

There are huge differences outside the engine: different weights in different models, different load and towing limits, some models have oil cooler, some don't.

Toyota decided that 0W20 would be too thin at temps if you loaded your RAV4 up to the limits.

I agree that 0W20 would be probably OK for non-towing crowd, especially for short trip city driving (90% of owners?).

One more thing, once toyota dealer put in 5W20 in my RAV4 by mistake. They refused to correct the mistake and I was too lazy to change it myself. Shortly after that engine knocking noise started. Maybe coincidence, maybe not.

The 3.5l in the RAV 4 is NOT approved for any 20 oil. It is 5W30 only, no matter if synthetic or not. It must be changed at 5,000 miles or six months whichever occurs first to maintain warranty. The same engine in the 2012 Camry is approved for 0W20 and 10,000 mile/1 year oil changes but the Avalon is not. Make any sense? Nope, not to me either.

I have no doubt the 0W20 would be just fine in the vast majority of situations except one.......an oil related engine problem because Toyota would not cover it. If the dealer put the 0W20 in there then it is their responsibility to change it along with the filter.

I have TWO RAV4 V-6's....been through this many times. 5W30 is it period as far as the Mother Ship is concerned.

http://www.toyota.com/owners/web/pages/resources/maintenance/synthetic-motor-oil
Now, scroll down for the only engines/autos approved for synthetic oil and 10K oil changes (some still 5K). See a RAV4? Nope!

Last edited:
Slightly off topic, but when I asked Toyota service regarding changing the diff lubricant to synthetic the story is they don't recommend it. Supposedly, there have been problems with leakage when synthetic is used. I can start a new thread if you think I should.

By "Toyota service" do you mean the service department at your local dealer? Most dealerships know NOTHING about oil.

I would like to hear more on this topic as well...I was going to switch out the FF in the transfer case and rear diff on my sister's RAV to Mobil 1 75W-90.

Just a note that only a synthetic can achieve the viscosities of 0W-20. If they want the last sliver of economy for the EPA tests, and it is safe in the engine, then they'll spec the 0W-20 syn.

As well said above, use any top quality 5W-30 as specified for that engine, syn or conventional, in the RAV.

The story about syn gear oil leaking past the seals is an old mechanics' tale. My Tundra diff hasn't leaked its syn past its seals, nor have many thousands of others.

For those of us who work in the parts department at a Toyota dealership, we must constantly check the approved oil chart when pulling parts for an oil change. Toyota's oil recommendations are currently all over the map. The 3.5L 2GR-FE does call for 5W30 only in the Rav4 and the Venza, 0W20 only in the Sienna, the Camry, & the Avalon. The Yaris also switched back to 5W30 this year.

Interesting thread. I purchased a RAV4 V6 about 6 weeks ago and plan to do an early oil change at around 1,500 miles. I emailed the dealer's service department to see if I could have them use synthetic oil as part of the Toyota Care, with me paying the diffence in the oil cost. The response was the V6 RAV takes 5W-30 and it would be about $16 extra for the synthetic oil. I then asked what kind of synthetic oil they used and the reply was:

"0w/20 castrol full synthetic oil"

The morale of the story is the dealers don't even know! I think I'll just change the oil myself and not go thru the hastle of taking it to the dealer. I have more than enough QSUD.

Last edited:
Quote:
Just a note that only a synthetic can achieve the viscosities of 0W-20.

Uh, kinda. Honda has a 0W20 plainly labeled synthetic blend.

Originally Posted By: Maritime Storm
For those of us who work in the parts department at a Toyota dealership, we must constantly check the approved oil chart when pulling parts for an oil change. Toyota's oil recommendations are currently all over the map. The 3.5L 2GR-FE does call for 5W30 only in the Rav4 and the Venza, 0W20 only in the Sienna, the Camry, & the Avalon. The Yaris also switched back to 5W30 this year.

Even more confusion.....in the link to a current Toyota synthetic oil chart in my first post above it shows the 2012 Venza IS approved for 0W20 but NO Avalon is approved.

Toyota would REALLY have to try to make this any more confusing.

10. Are all 0W-20 viscosity oils synthetics? Yes. The 0W-20 viscosity grade requires synthetic-base oils to meet low-temperature performance standards.

I view synthetic and synthetic blend as similar but different. 0W20 synthetic based? Yes. Must they be all synthetic? No.

Honda's synth blend 0W20 stands as proof.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
I view synthetic and synthetic blend as similar but different. 0W20 synthetic based? Yes. Must they be all synthetic? No.
Honda's synth blend 0W20 stands as proof.

That's proof of nothing.
The only 0W-20 I know of that's marketed as a "blend" is he CoP made Honda oil, but the kinematic viscosity spec's are virtually identical including VI between the Honda full syn and the blend.
Why would a CoP even bother to formulate two identical oils?
I don't think they did and the blend version is labelled as such for some marketing ploy.

Originally Posted By: Percyiris
Hi, Newbie here first post. Please excuse any lapses in protocol. When I bought my 2011 RAV4 the sales manager mistakenly told me the V6 came with synthetic, it doesn't. The oil filler cap is labeled 5W-30. Identical(?) Toyota engines of the same displacement in other models use synthetic. What can be the difference? After 1K or so I switched to Toyota synthetic, and now at 26,000 km I use 0W-20. Any comments or information? Thanks.

Welcome to BITOG!

The spec' oil for both the L4 and V6 RAV4 is the Toyota 0W-20.
The Toyota 0W-20 is a superb oil so you've made a good choice in using it. The only reason to consider using anything heavier, would be if you were planning on towing something very heavy.
Since you've made no mention of that stick with what you're using.

Thanks Caterham, as you can see there are conflicting opinions on what is specified for the Rav4. The manual is clear,5/W30. I'd be interested in where you came across your information In a PM, I related an anecdote whereby a knowlgeable Toyota technician told me he uses 0/W20 in his '09 V6 Rav4.
One thing has me thinking, albeit it's too late now, so there's no use worrying about it; I towed a 5' by 8' covered uhaul with my motorcycle inside from southern Ontario to northern Maine to Mississippi and back, using 0/W20. Changed the oil/filer when I returned, no noise yet.

Quote:
he spec' oil for both the L4 and V6 RAV4 is the Toyota 0W-20.

You're 1/2 right. The RAV4 V-6 is not spec'd for 0W20 or 5W20 period. Not from Toyota, not from the owner's manual, not even from the oil cap.....only by you. Had you bothered to read the link I posted it is current showing which vehicles Toyota approved 20 viscosity oil in.

Quote:
That's proof of nothing.
The only 0W-20 I know of that's marketed as a "blend" is he CoP made Honda oil, but the kinematic viscosity spec's are virtually identical including VI between the Honda full syn and the blend.
Why would a CoP even bother to formulate two identical oils?
I don't think they did and the blend version is labelled as such for some marketing ploy.

Even when you are shown to be wrong you just can't accept it can you? They took a full synth and labeled it a blend for marketing? Yeah, right. Obviously you know best.....just like telling the fella that 0W20 is approved in his V-6 when it is absolutely not approved by the manufacturer. Well done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back