What octane in your 4 stroke lawn mower engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: beast3300
Originally Posted By: Spazdog
I run 89 in everything. The Echo specs 89 so I just fill up both gas cans at once with 89. I can't tell a bit of difference in the generator, trimmer, mower, leaf blower, or chipper with 89.

Is that my quote in your signature?

yep! It's made out of awesome but that's all I could fit!
thumbsup2.gif

I use non-ethanol 93 in mower engine lol! I usually go fill up in my truck which has a 388 stroker in it. I just go ahead and fill up with 93 in my 5 gallon can to save a little time. This particular station isn't pay at the pump.

My Craftsman mower is almost 10 years old and the Kohler engine runs like a top.

Since Echo for some reason requires 89 octane for their machines, and all of my 2-strokes are made by Echo, I use 89 octane for my 2-stroke equipment. The 4 stroke equipment however all require only 87 octane, so that's what I use for the 4 strokes. All gas sold here has ethanol no matter what octane, so that's a moot point. I've never had any issues with ethanol anyway.

I never have any issues with ethanol either. All of our gas here has ethanol in it, and I keep fuel in the machines year-round.

Why do many 2-cycle engines require higher grades of octane? Would they actually experience spark knock on lower grades?

Originally Posted By: beast3300
I run 89 in everything. The Echo specs 89 so I just fill up both gas cans at once with 89. I can't tell a bit of difference in the generator, trimmer, mower, leaf blower, or chipper with 89.

Is that my quote in your signature?

yep! It's made out of awesome but that's all I could fit!
thumbsup2.gif

ROFL! Thanks!

My 4 cycles all get 87, my cheap 2C 10 year old weed eater trimmer gets 87 as well... I don't bother to keep a gas/oil mix for it(usually just wound up in the mowers), I dump in a ½ ounce or so oil whenever I fill the tank...

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I never have any issues with ethanol either. All of our gas here has ethanol in it, and I keep fuel in the machines year-round.

Why do many 2-cycle engines require higher grades of octane? Would they actually experience spark knock on lower grades?

I believe the reason is you don't want even the chance of knock at near indy-car engine RPM some 2-strokes turn. I think my stihl trimmer will go 10k rpm? And also, when you mix oil in the gas I think it technically can lower the octane? So you don't want to start off low and end up too low. Anyone please correct me if I am wrong here...

I'm a by the book kind of guy and I am aware of Stihl's recommendation of 89 octane.

At my workplace our bulk tank is 87 octane and we have never had any problems running our chainsaws, trimmers, blowers, or pruner. Our 4 stroke equipment get this too. Knock on wood, I guess.

I run 87 with a splash of MMO. Keeps the fuel fresh and the insides clean. I use Shell. (I fill my car with whatever is cheapest. Go figure I use better gas in my mower then my car
smile.gif
)

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
I run 87 with a splash of MMO. Keeps the fuel fresh and the insides clean. I use Shell. (I fill my car with whatever is cheapest. Go figure I use better gas in my mower then my car
smile.gif
)

+1.....a splash of MMO in 87 gas... seems to be beneficial in my Toro push mower as well.

My mom's friend does all the gardening in the neighborhood, and he uses 87 octane E10 from 7-11. That is because 7-11 is the nearest gas station, and none of the lawn equipment required anything more than regular unleaded gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back