Contemplating Kellys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have history with these passenger tires?
2005 Camry, commuter car, mostly city driven, 50/50 expressway and arterial streets.
The current CS4s have reached 60k miles and are deafening.
They sure served well though.

Kelly (Kelly-Springfield) is one of Goodyear's brands, along with Dunlop (and Sava and Fulda). I think GY makes Kelly tires both as a low cost line and as a line for independent local local shops to sell. I don't think they are anything special. They are probably OK, and you can probably get better tires for the same cost.

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
Anyone have history with these passenger tires?
2005 Camry, commuter car, mostly city driven, 50/50 expressway and arterial streets.
The current CS4s have reached 60k miles and are deafening.
They sure served well though.

which kelly tires? thats not enough info.

thats like saying..

I'm thinking about coopers

they have at least 5 tires that fit your car.. if I knew what car it was on.

I heard they were Goodyear made too.
Indeed they are being sold by an independent frame shop that does tons of brake and front end work.
Price is two thirds of the Cooper CS4s. Comparable tire according to him. I bought the Coopers there, and he has changed "suppliers".

Look into Dunlop Signature II , they are a redesign so might be only available at a goodyear store. These are 65k warranty tires, good all season traction, quieter ride than the model lines it replaces ( Dunlop Signature, Kelly Navigator Touring Gold) and since they are new , can be usually found on sale if you call around.

IF you do want to get Kelly, dont get anything lesser than their Charger GT. Honestly though , Kelly tires do get a bit louder as they age ( economy lineup ).

Check out a Ford dealer for Kelly. I am pretty sure they go on the $100 rebate they do every few months, and the dealers will price match any printed estimate for the same tire. They are part of Goodyear, use the same part numbers as Goodyear.

Kelly are fine tires. As mentioned, they are a low cost tire brand made by Goodyear. When I worked landscaping that is all the replacement tires that they put on the vehicles (Safaris I think.) They all worked fine. Good in snow and reasonably quiet considering they were on dumptrucks. I would purchase kelly tires in confidence

I just installed a set of Hankook H7s on my Equinox after replacing my CS4s. Much nicer tire in my opinion

My buddy installed Hankook Optimo H727's on his '04 Camry(same as '05) and claims they're the best tire he's had on this particular car.

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
Good thoughts guys, thanks.

Good luck finding Kelly Navigator Gold Touring---a great bang-for-the-buck tire. There are still some available online, but the last few times I asked about them at local tire shops it was unavailabe or discontinued. Not sure if Kelly will have a new tire to replace the Touring Golds, a la Dunlop and its updated Signature series.

I've never ridden on them but I am skeptical of the lower-end Kelly tires: the Charger and the Explorer, I think. The ratings Kelly itself assigns to these tires at the company Web site does not inspire.

The high-end passenger/touring tire from Kelly has been a good deal for many years, since the Navigator Platinum came out. I hope GY keeps the brand going as a serious alternative and not just a place to sell off its cast-off designs.

Navigator touring golds will not be replaced by a new version. Dunlop Signature ii is the replacement for both Kelly and Dunlop tires.

Wife has Kelly Navigators (not golds) on her car, and have barely broken in at 23k...besides wishing that they had a stiffer sidewall (I swear they look low all the time), they have been a good tire.

Two tires I'd avoid by Kelly- the Explorer (also the SA4/ Douglas tire) are junk-a true budget tire. The Charger GTs wear too fast..

I have a set of Navigator Gold Tourings. I like them a lot--very good value in an H-rated tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back