Big-block engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own an engine based on a 400 small block with enough machine work to make you cry. A bit over 550 hp at the crank, and no cooling problems.

The whole "siamesed" cylinder thing is a bit amplified here, as it causes absolutely no problems in the car, ever. Runs A/C, power steering, a 180 amp alternator, etc. in Florida summer heat and has driven everywhere.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I own an engine based on a 400 small block with enough machine work to make you cry. A bit over 550 hp at the crank, and no cooling problems.

The whole "siamesed" cylinder thing is a bit amplified here, as it causes absolutely no problems in the car, ever. Runs A/C, power steering, a 180 amp alternator, etc. in Florida summer heat and has driven everywhere.

In a car, yes it can do that and you get the benefit of it being lighter than a big-block. In a motorhome or tandem axle dump truck, which is where most manufacturers continued to use big-blocks to the bitter end of their production (Ford, GM, and Navistar/International right up until diesels took over completely in the 90s)... not so much.

IMO that's a big part of why there are no big-blocks anymore. Diesels have taken over the one area where they had any advantage left over smallblocks, which was extended periods of operation at or near maximum rated power.

Everyone forgets bout the King of all big blocks The Cadillac 472/500. They weigh less than 454's and can easily make the same power

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

In a car, yes it can do that and you get the benefit of it being lighter than a big-block. In a motorhome or tandem axle dump truck, which is where most manufacturers continued to use big-blocks to the bitter end of their production (Ford, GM, and Navistar/International right up until diesels took over completely in the 90s)... not so much.

IMO that's a big part of why there are no big-blocks anymore. Diesels have taken over the one area where they had any advantage left over smallblocks, which was extended periods of operation at or near maximum rated power.

But that's exactly my point. My engine has it easy as it's only toting 2900 pounds of homemade roadster, trust me you can't keep your foot down long!

But if I'd chosen a different cam and intake/carb I would not hesitate to put this engine into a truck. It could easily be a 500 foot pounds of torque monster that could pull trailers all day.

In my many years of driving I have never perceived any advantage from my Rat motors over the Mouse motors as far as durability. The only real advantage was power.

Thanks to everyone! This was a really great thread to read and enjoy.

Cheers!

p.s. The IRON DUKE was 1/2 of a 5.0 (302) small block and the 4.3 was 3/4ths of a 5.7 (350) small block.

The diesel 4.3 might have been the worst, if not for the 8-6-4!

Originally Posted By: TFB1
Those 455 GS Buicks are the ones that often embarrassed the LS6(450Hp) 454 Chevy guys... Was especially mortifying cause the Buick was rated at 360Hp...

Yes! I know this well as my 70 Chevelle even with headers and a carb upgrade still could be easily whipped by those darn Buicks!

Luckily you never saw many at the strip.

In my many years of driving I have never perceived any advantage from my Rat motors over the Mouse motors as far as durability. The only real advantage was power.

Well... I didn't go there because I really didn't want to make it sound like I'm anti-Chevy. But IMO the Rat motor is one of the most fragile big-blocks out there, I've just seen too many of them go "boom" in overworked farm trucks back in the day. Not to say it isn't tough enough or that it can't make huge power (its actually very easy to get big power out of a rat engine because of the heads, and maybe that's why I've seen them break), its just that in the Chevy world, the durability difference between big- and small-block is not as apparent as it is when you look at the other GM big-blocks, or when you compare Ford big-blocks to Ford smallblocks, or Mopar big-blocks to Mopar small-blocks.

I always found the chevy 454 to be a odd motor. Some of it could be casting or production Quality. One could be a tuff motor. the next one was a dog that died early or blew. In The 80's I have seen blocks leaking antifreeze before they were a year old. I always thought The Old's 425/455 was a better work motor.

A 454 quirk back when I was around them a lot more (70s/80s) was bending pushrods. I always blamed the relatively long pushrods and the awkward pushrod angles due to the splayed valves. One friend drove a 454 powered tow truck, and he had finger-nuts holding down the valvecovers and kept the bottom of his toolbox filled with 454 pushrods. Other than that, he had no problems.

The one I'll never forget was the one that put a conrod out the bottom of the oil pan on a San Antonio freeway while towing a trailer full of cattle. Darned inconvenient for my rancher friend, but one of only a very few 454 bottom-end problems I ever saw.

I owned a 70 Chevelle 454 4speed and whipped it from the day I got it. Drag strip passes, etc. Lots of fun.

Carb change, cam, ported the heads, nice set of Hookers, etc. never made a peep and ran like a gem. 13.3 at 108 mph on street tires.

My dad bought a chevy PU with a 454 in it years later and promptly blew it up on the interstate.

It's just a random thing. Most of them were good motors.

Fresh 622ci tall deck BBC.

IMAG0574.jpg

It goes in this. Were looking for sponsors, oil guys!

1337286479.jpg

Last edited:
i realy love the chrysler big blocks, i saw one that was mistreated, so bad well just realy bad, but it keept running. but the mopar small blocks are a little down on the low rpm power for me.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Nice boat motor...but where's the 8-71 blower?!
laugh.gif

We bracket race 8.00 1/4, and race blown alcohol deals all the time. NA motors in that class are not common.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back