Sunroof stuck all the way open

Status
Not open for further replies.
The electric sunroof on my sunfire is stuck all the way open. Nothing happens when you press the switch. Is their anyway to close it manually? Where would be the best place to take it that hopefully wont charge an arm and a leg? I don't care if it ever works again just need it to close. Thanks in advanced.

Last edited:
In my MB cars that have had electric sunroofs, the motor is in the trunk, on the left side behind the covers that form the trunk's enclosed space.

In there, there is a little wand that can be turned, which would close the sunroof.

There should be a manual override like this, and Id imagine it to be in the trunk.

Is this an OEM or an aftermarket sunroof?

What does your owner's manual say? The MB manuals give detailed instructions on how to manually close it.

Good luck! I doubt you need anyone but yourself to close the sunroof. If it is on its own fuse, Id pull it once you get it closed.

Owners Manual says "The Sunroof glass panel cannot be opened or closed of your vehicle has an electrical failure."...doesn't sound good

my '93 saturn had a way to crank the motor manually IIRC, but I think you had to remove the headliner to get to it.

Originally Posted By: 2James1
I read the link....sounds like it may work...but my sunroof wont move at all when the button is pressed.

I understand... I think you would be able to work the sunroof to the closed position easier if the motor wasn't there to restrict the movement of it. Plus you now have the directions on how to remove the headliner.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
my '93 saturn had a way to crank the motor manually IIRC, but I think you had to remove the headliner to get to it.

+1 I am pretty sure there is a "manual override" but it is PITA to get to. You might want to consider a junkyard motor or aftermarket if you are going to be taking the headliner out.

My friend's 300,000+ mile Cherokee's sunroof stuck open.

It was the switch itself or maybe a relay. I applied power to the motor and closed it. He had no desire to fix it properly and given the condition of the vehicle I can't say I blame him. The steering was shot and virtually everything that held a liquid leaked. Kinda' wish he'd given it to me. It would have been a nice little project for a year or two but I didn't want to buy it.

Hondas used to have a small opening in the headliner that would allow you to insert a small tool from the spare-tire kit made out of case hardened Velveeta and manually close the moonroof. I don't know if they still do that or not.

Thank you for all the replies everyone. I got it to close this morning. Last night a guy at work showed me how. As some of you have said..their is a way to manually operate the motor. On my car the motor is located in front of the sunroof(if your facing the car). I used a 5/32 allen socket after first trying an allen wrench the allen socket made it much easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back